How Much Flow?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
Would two Sicce Voyager 4s (1600 GPH each) plus my return which is probably about 650 GPH be enough flow in my 75 gallon tank for me be able to keep anything?

yeah that should be more then adequate for that tank...:D
I would think with propper placement you should be able to grow just about anything ( movement wise )..

I would get smaller Sicces but more of them. Like three or four of the Sicce 2's. That way flow is generated in more directions and not just being blasted from two sides.

I would get smaller Sicces but more of them. Like three or four of the Sicce 2's. That way flow is generated in more directions and not just being blasted from two sides.

How necessary is this? It would be more convenient only having two...

I think you'll be fine - but I will say a little something regarding random flow. I recently added random flow to my tank in the form of a mini Polario 7M on the back wall behind my rocks, and replacing a Koralia 1400 with a MP40. My corals and my fish are definitely happier now that the flow in the tank is changing on a regular basis

I would look for power heads that you can either plug into a timer, or use with some sort of wavemaker - it made a HUGE difference for my tank

I think you'll be fine - but I will say a little something regarding random flow. I recently added random flow to my tank in the form of a mini Polario 7M on the back wall behind my rocks, and replacing a Koralia 1400 with a MP40. My corals and my fish are definitely happier now that the flow in the tank is changing on a regular basis

I would look for power heads that you can either plug into a timer, or use with some sort of wavemaker - it made a HUGE difference for my tank

So I'd be fine with the two voyager 4s if I have them on timers?

I would think so, 1600 GPH is a 21x turnover rate for a 75 gallon tank - I think that's plenty sufficient. As far as the random flow, I wouldn't say its a necessary thing, but I personally noticed a big improvement when I added it to my tank. As with anything in this hobby, your mileage may vary from mine....

what I would do is take the two of them one on each corner ( right and left) angle them in some and bounce them off the front glass this will give some change in direction ( because as they hit off eachother it will change the flow that the corals recieve in the front)plus enough flow through the tank ..

I would think so, 1600 GPH is a 21x turnover rate for a 75 gallon tank - I think that's plenty sufficient.

With the 2 pumps plus the return there's a turnover of about 50X hour. Is this two much? Once Little Fish said sps need a turnover of like 80X per hour. :-?

nah wont be to much,, i turned my 150 over at over 60.. just watch the heads on the sand they may need adjusting as well as any low flow corals will need correct placement..

Last edited:
Back