How much flow?

BCReefer

pro stoner, newb reefer
Hi all,
I'm in the market for an inexpensive powerhead to try and take care of an algae problem. How much flow would you guys recommend? I currently just have 1 powerhead feeding my in-tank skimmer, it has 2000 L/H (about 500 GPH), but I doubt there's still that much flow coming out after it goes through there. There's about 50Gal in the tank so that's only 10 gal/h of flow.
So what size should i be aiming for when buying another powerhead/wavemaker? I was thinking of adding 1 more with about 320 GPH and stick it on the other side of the tank. The LFS guy said adding 250 or so would be a good help. Advice? General GPH rule to follow?
Also, I have no UV in the tank and have been reading good things about them, I saw this inline UV light that hooks onto powerhead intakes and does what it does. Anyone have experience with them? I know my no-sump setup is a bit cheap but my nitrates, phosphates etc are never very high and its all nice and small and contained.

Here's the UV light
Inline/Powerhead option Aquarium UV Sterilizer (3 Size) | eBay

thanks

55 gal tank you would want in the realm of 1500gph turnover rate in it.. that would allow for corals down the road if you wish...
I would reccomend 2 koralia 750's put in ..

I also have a 55g and I have 2 koralia 325's and 1 aqueon 500 as well as the flow from my filter.

I have seahorses though so cant really do more than that but it does seems to really blow everything around really well.

Any advice on the UV? are they necessary? i do have a couple types of algae, might it help with those?

I have never used a UV maybe someone else on here has though.

What kind of algae is it? I had an issue with the long green hair algae for months here is what I did to get rid of it.

1. Reduced my lights from 9am-9pm to 11-am-9pm
2. Use ONLY RO/DI water not just RO
3. Bought a spot tail blenny who loves to eat it. I didnt know she would, but she does. I think other blennies also like it.
4. Every weekend a 20% water change
5. Physically remove as much as I could by pulling out corals and rocks and scrapping it off.

It was a pain in the ass and took me about 6 weeks but its gone and hasnt come back in months.

I have used a uv sterilizer in the past and as long as you keep your levels in check and keep up on waterchanges it really doesnt do alot as far as I am concerned.. didnt notice any change with anything after I stopped using it... It was a few years back and not really sure of the advancements made since then but I dont reccomend having to have one in the tank..

Back