How much Funk do you get from your skimmer

garydm

Reefing newb
Well My aquarium has been up and running for a while now and Im just at half a gallon of funk drained from my octo 150 skimmer......seems like I should have more than that running on close to a year.....so I want to see how much you get

well as I typed that and hit send the wife said she poored about a inch of funk out a while back so a little more...likr 3/4 of a gallon

How much funk you get,depends a lot on how much is in the water.
If theres not that much in the water,then your gonna get less skimmate.

well I kind of thought that but wanted to make sure my skimmer was being all it could be.....I dont have anyone around me to compair so I wanted a village opinion

This is 5 days worth. (That's a 10 cup coffee pot)

skimmate4_8-08.jpg

garydm - sorry if I missed something but are you saying you have pulled only a gallon or so total over a period of several months? That seems very light although like others point out it varies greatly depending on water quality. I have a CPR BakPak on my lightly stocked 55 gallon. The skimmer is probably small for my tank and I know the pump is shot and limping along. Even with that I get about a full cup or so of dark funky gunky every 24 - 36 hours.

garydm - you still might be ok. It's hard to compare. A big part of the puzzle is how "wet" or "dry" your skimate is. If you set your collection cup low into the water you'll get more water/less actual gunk each time. If you set it high you will get more gunk/less water. Your 1 gallon over several months could be removing as much or more gunk than my several gallons if you have a nice concentrated skimate. The end result is the same.

If your skimmer appears to be working fine (nice thick column of air bubbles completely filling the main column) you're probably fine. You can lower the cup a little to see if you get better results. It's also possible your water is clean enough that you simply don't have a large amount of organics to skim out. That's a good thing.

Back