How Much Sand and Where to Buy

BuddaTurk

Turk of Budda
OK,

Ramping up to get my 120G tank on Saturday.

I need to know how much sand to get and where to buy it from. My LFS wants $28.99 for just plain aragonite and $32.99 for live aragonite (20 lb bags).

My idea is to order online to save some money and to buy 2/3 plain aragonite and 1/3 live aragonite to see the rest of the sand.

Links to sites are welcome!

Thanks,
BT

if you are getting live rock, your sand will become live soon anyway. Some people like to get it but we just went with the plain aragonite and lots of live rock, our tank cycled nicely with a little patience.

I bought my sand at Dr. Foster and Smith.They don't charge extra for shipping heavy items.Bought 250lbs of aragonite sand for $18 shipping.

I too bought all the sand for my 240 from Drs. Foster and Smith (www.liveaquaria.com). I bought around 600 lbs and it came delivered on a palette :). Shipping was $17 I think. They have a flat shipping rate for heavy things like salt, rock and sand.

Carib sea from Marine Depot is $20 for 30 pounds of 0.1 to 0.5 mm sand. In my 120 i put 300 pounds of 0.1 to 0.5 mm oolitic sand, 100 pounds of 0.5 to 1.0 mm oolitic sand and top that with 20 pounds of GARF grunge. However, Marine Depot is on the West Coast. Drs. Foster and Smith is in Wisconsin, but it is probably as cheap to ship from Wisconsin to Arizona as from California to NC. Besides all the Aragonite sold is coming from Bermuda and enters the country on the east coast, usually Florida. Best natural live sand is from http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com but it costs five dollars a pound. GARF sells GARF grunge, which is tank raised live sand, at the same price. I buy GARF grunge unless at the time I am also buying live rock, then I buy both from TampaBaySaltwater.com. GARF's is a lot nicer but contains more coarser pieces of live rock rubble mixed in (but the rubble is all coralline covered).

Back