Votes: 5 15.6%
  • 2 Days out of the week

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • 1 Day out of the week

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Jenna09

Reefing newb
I feed my fish 1-2 times a week. I believe that because my tank is so old that there is enough food in there for them to eat and my fish are healthy looking; not too skinny and not too fat.

I was looking at my LFS's display tank and all of their fish look obese to me and I think that is because they feed them way way too much.

Jenna

6 days a week here, newer tank with less natural food established. My feeling is that if they are not hungry the fish will not eat. Plus, my corals really enjoy the heavy feedings.

My feeling is that if they are not hungry the fish will not eat. Plus, my corals really enjoy the heavy feedings.

That's not really true. Fish will tend to eat and eat and eat until they get sick! Food is so scarce in their natural environments, that when they have an unlimited amount (given by humans) they kinda go crazy and gorge ;) Like my cats that used to be strays, LOL. :lol:

I feed every other day. Seems to be a good regimen for keeping the fish healty and keeping excessive nutrients down.

When I was talking to my LFS about how often I feed they said I am starving my fish. You can take one look at my fish and see that they are in no way starving and a healthy size.

I also think that fish will continue to eat until they are sick and I have witnessed this first hand. I once dumped way way too much food when I used to feed my tank everyday and my clownfish Robert (rip) ate until his stomach looked like it was going to explode and for about 30 mins after stuffing himself to the brim he kept burping out pieces of food. He became obese along with all of my other fish and I cut back their feedings to 1-2 times a week and before he passed at over 8 years old he and all of my other fish were in perfect health/size.

Jenna

yote: I also have dropped my feeding down to once or twice a month and my fish have remained in the same healthy state. I have been doing the 1-2 times a week lately because I have so many hermit crabs and I dont want them to start picking at things.

And when I do feedings it is usually minimal and like 1/3 of a cube.

Jenna

I was feeding my fish every other day but started losing crabs. Now that I feed em everyday I have yet to lose a crab. In a few months I will cut feedings back to every other day again.

Right now, I feed once a day, mainly because my tank's still new...but I've skipped a day here and there with no ill effects.

That's not really true. Fish will tend to eat and eat and eat until they get sick! Food is so scarce in their natural environments, that when they have an unlimited amount (given by humans) they kinda go crazy and gorge ;) Like my cats that used to be strays, LOL. :lol:

Humans do the same thing.

post 2K!

Back