How to Get Rid of Aiptasias?

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
I've never had a problem with aiptasias. However, there have been a couple here and there popping up in my 50 gallon. I bought some Aiptasia-X and have been injecting the little suckers whenever I spot one. I thought I had basically taken care of the issue, and then this evening, I found 10 new ones that seemed to have just popped up overnight. I just finished injecting all of them with Aiptasia-X, but does anyone have a better solution? Thanks.

Once you thin the herd with Aiptasia X, peppermint shrimp are a good way to maintain it. But they are small, and some won't eat aiptasia, so if you go with peps, it's a good idea to get several.

Once you thin the herd with Aiptasia X, peppermint shrimp are a good way to maintain it. But they are small, and some won't eat aiptasia, so if you go with peps, it's a good idea to get several.

I already have 1 cleaner shrimp. How many peppermint shrimp could go with him in a 50 gallon?

I'd say 6 or so should be good for peps in a tank that size. They will get along fine with your cleaner. When you add them to the tank, put them in the area of the aiptasia. And don't be surprised if you hardly ever see them again -- they are nocturnal and like to hide out underneath rocks.

I saw one aiptasia in my tank and went out and got six peppermints (mostly because I know they wouldn't all make it).
It took them three weeks or so to get around to eating it (even with me putting them practically on top of it). I also never see them. The only reason I know there's still at least one in the tank is I found a molt yesterday morning...

We love our Pep shrimp!! I bought 2 got 2 free. We only see one of them all the time. He comes and feeds right out of the turkey baster. The others i have not seen in a while. I had Aiptasia popping up all the time. I would shoot them with Aiptasia x and they would come back(or spread not sure). So I got the shrimp and have not seen a Aiptasia since!!

I have found a couple ways to get rid of aptasia..
One is injecting them with vinegar cheaper than aptasia x...
I have a copperband that loves them he got rid of the outbreak quick so end up have to find people to get small rocks from that have it on so i can feed my copperband..The trick with a copperband is that you need to see them eat at the lfs. I have been through a couple because i didnt do it and they are very fragile.

Kleins Butterfly fish.....I went to Iraq for a few months and when i returned my 8ft long tank was filled end to end with aptasia. Stuck a Kleins in there and the tank was spotless in about a week. You have to remove it when your tank is clean though otherwise it will eat your corals. Also you can try Burgiah, they are small but work pretty good.

Oh... I was just curious. Was hoping there was someone here in NorCal

Hey there "Piratefish"....

I hate to burst your bubble, but Sebastopol isn't "NorCal"! :grumble:

It's a solid central California town.

I live in the TRUE Northern California. Ha :^:

Hey there "Piratefish"....

I hate to burst your bubble, but Sebastopol isn't "NorCal"! :grumble:

It's a solid central California town.

I live in the TRUE Northern California. Ha :^:
Oh come on ! Im north of SF !! Hey CDaubs I do spend alot of time fishing up around McCloud. An I lived in McKinelyville for 4 years:mrgreen:

Redding is nice but a little HOT for me. What do you do up there? Do any hunting? Fishing?

Back