How to grow Coarlline help please

Well I finally checked through the bottles of stuff that came with my setup and I have tried using Seachem Reef builder Raises Carbonates and Seachem Reef Clacium Maintains Calcium it says.
Should this help?

I'll need to go and purchase those test kits this weekend.
I'm just trying to get some more color in the tank....
One other thing. I am still having one heck of a time with snails. Everytime I get a few and put them in they die. 4th time. And the last 2 times I drip acclimated for about an hour. My Salt is at 1.024, all other levels are good (nitrates are 20) 0 for ammonia and nitrites. I can't figure it out. The shells look nice in the tank, but I wish they were also working in there...Any suggestions....?

I'll need to go and purchase those test kits this weekend.
I'm just trying to get some more color in the tank....
One other thing. I am still having one heck of a time with snails. Everytime I get a few and put them in they die. 4th time. And the last 2 times I drip acclimated for about an hour. My Salt is at 1.024, all other levels are good (nitrates are 20) 0 for ammonia and nitrites. I can't figure it out. The shells look nice in the tank, but I wish they were also working in there...Any suggestions....?

your nitrates are 20? that's probably why. Inverts are sensitive to poor water conditions

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not used anything to promote coraline growth and it's taking off like crazy. Took about 2 months to see new growth, but now I'm even seeing it on base rock that I put in the tank when I first started. My tank has been running for about 4 months +/-

I say Patience. It will grow.

I'm not ripping on anyone here. This is just an observation that I see amongst reefers:

It's a slow hobby. As the old saying goes, "Nuthin' happens fast in a reef tank, except a crash."

I do not understand why people seek out the largest frags and colonies to trade. I do not understand why people use addatives to promote coraline growth within weeks. I do not understand why people try to stock tanks to the max after a 1 week cycle and no prior experience in reefing.

Take it slow. All in good time. It will be beautiful if you concentrate your efforts on simply maintaining stable/healthy water parameters.

You want a fast hobby full of adrenaline? -- take up RC airplanes, or downhill skiing or drag racing.

I have not used anything to promote coraline growth and it's taking off like crazy. Took about 2 months to see new growth, but now I'm even seeing it on base rock that I put in the tank when I first started. My tank has been running for about 4 months +/-

I say Patience. It will grow.

I'm not ripping on anyone here. This is just an observation that I see amongst reefers:

It's a slow hobby. As the old saying goes, "Nuthin' happens fast in a reef tank, except a crash."

I do not understand why people seek out the largest frags and colonies to trade. I do not understand why people use addatives to promote coraline growth within weeks. I do not understand why people try to stock tanks to the max after a 1 week cycle and no prior experience in reefing.

Take it slow. All in good time. It will be beautiful if you concentrate your efforts on simply maintaining stable/healthy water parameters.

You want a fast hobby full of adrenaline? -- take up RC airplanes, or downhill skiing or drag racing.

Can I get an AMEN.

What i was getting at is

She asked for some help promoting the growth.
she stated that she has tried/ and even killed off the Great purple
to no avail.
So I brought up the product, I used it in my 55 with Good results after i tried and tried to get it to grow Sometimes things need a lil kick in the ass to get going, so I suggested it .
I knew there would be a debate for bringing it up.

As for the Snails
Was your tank New or was it a used tank,
If it was New I have no answer for ya . sorry
If it was used however there may have been a copper added at some point that could be the culprit.

She did ask for help. I'm not saying that it is wrong to use addatives. I does pH, iodine and trace elements. I'm not anti-dose.

My philosophy is to let it go as naturally as I'm comfortable with. I does pH and trace because I have too.

I'd prefer to let the natural stuff that will happen on it's own, do just that--develope on it's own. My coraline is growing great. Some of you might laugh at my coraline growth. I'm getting penny and dime sized patches of it on my glass. Hundreds of those patches. And I did NOTHING to promote it, except keep my calcium high and keep my tank clean.

It WILL happen with patience and/or the right water conditions. Those water conditions can be achieved with an addative or without. Just depends on how fast you want it.

Sitting here looking through my lil tank notebook,
I just noticed that my coraline seems to grow a little bit better when the water stays between 75 and 78 degrees.
Anybody else ever paid any attention to that?

Yea Yote! I get the best growth around 78 degrees, in the summer time when I fight to keep the tank around 80, the corraline barely grows. I also see the best growth when calcium is i the 480 range.

I started adding Fiji Gold calcium about 6 weeks ago and have a TON of coraline growth . I am still scraping it off the glass to spread it around but have it popping up all over, even my snails are turning purple, well the shells anyway. It clouds the water for a couple hours but it has not effected any other levels just increases the calcium level.

First off I know my username may sound feminine... :) But my name is Shane and the T is for Thomas :) Bad choice for a name I have come to realize.....I'm a 31 year old dude (32 come sunday).
Enough of that though.....
I know I should have more patience, something I'll have to work on. The tank is about 6 months old now. My temp is between 80 and 82. Maybe this is too warm???

Temperatures between 80 and 82 are fine. Having a tank at that temperature is not going to keep coralline from growing, although others have noticed it grows better at lower temperatures. It can take several months for coralline to get going. Look at Rigo -- he's had his tank set up for god knows how long and can't manage to get a speck of coralline in it. I don't think that you have a problem with your temperatures or your parameters. I think that you have a problem with your patience :D.

Back