How to introduce frags?

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
So i figured what the heck... might as well buy a frag or two, they're only 5 bucks! But i have no idea what to do with them. So i just placed them in the tank after letting them adjust to the temp. Ya ya, i know... you are probably cringing right now. So what should I do next time? Do I need to put them on some of that plastic grate stuff for a while? Do i need to iodine dip everything? I don't know what that means but I've seen it a lot around here. lol
Help a brotha out! :12:

Depends on what type of frag you bought.

A quick freshwater dip will rid corals of most parasites they carry. But I wouldn't recommend a freshwater dip on more sensitive types of corals.

There are also coral dips that you can buy at your LFS (or use an iodine solution) to help get rid of any parasites or diseases it may carry.

You should acclimate any coral frag longer than fish though. Usually over several hours. You need to drip acclimate them (slowly add water from your tank to the bag, as it floats in your tank).

If your lights are really strong, then you should start the corals off on the bottom of the tank and gradually move them up, giving them time to adjust to the change in intensity.

Biffs got the acclimation covered.
But I personally dip every new coral in Lugols Solution.Just as a precaution.

I want to add, please don't panic. If you bought relatively easy corals (and at $5 apiece, they should be), the way you acclimated them will 99.9999% have no negative impact on them.

I want to add, please don't panic. If you bought relatively easy corals (and at $5 apiece, they should be), the way you acclimated them will 99.9999% have no negative impact on them.

Kewl.
This is what i got.... each one is only about an inch and a half big.

417769567_M3SJr-L.jpg

417769609_eCWZS-L.jpg

Nice! Those are great corals to start with. They should spread pretty quickly. Green star polyps (the second type) actually end up being problematic to a lot of people because they spread so quickly.

Back