How To Move A Tank?

Let us know how this all goes cause I will most likely have to do this in may so if you realize anything you forgot to think about or something you wish you would have known before you started that'd be greatly appreciated...

I will post a diary of the move. If all goes well, I will do the actual move in 3-4 weeks. Hopefully sooner.

I am now thinking I may be able to leave the sand in place with just enough water to keep it wet. Will just need to get extra friends to carry the extra 120 lbs+ of weight.

I would 3-4 people (including you) to move the tank, having more people just to makes things easier, dividing the weight more and the like.

Gonna be a few weeks before the move now. Got inspired to build a new stand to replace the POS stand that came with my tank. Then just need to do some painting to the room it is going in and... oh ya, need to finish building my new sump. Taking it slow though and not rushing as I do not want to have to do this again anytime soon.

Just keep the sand in a bucket with a little water with it. When you move it rinse it with freshwater before you put it back in the tank so it will clean the water. Then place it back in the tank. Good Luck!!

I wouldn't recommend rinsing sand with fresh water, this will kill anything living in it. I think Teixeira may have meant "fresh" saltwater, as in new saltwater.

I can bring it to my basement via an outside door so my thought is to leave the sand in and drain water to just keep it wet. Taking out will only happen if the 4 people helping me start to struggle.

Back