How to prevent rock from falling

M3AN ONE

Reefing newb
I recently aquascaped my tank with about 200-300 lbs of live rock. It has many caves and am woried that if I get a golden moray eel for my reef tank it will cause all the rocks to collapse thereby killing everything.

I put eggcrate under the sand for added support but did not leave the rocks buried under the sand because I ended up with 3 inches of sand and made everything apear much shorter rather than taller.

Yes it could happen, there are stories of people that had there rock fall, completely broke the tank and everything died. And yes if the rock is not sturdy even a fish could knock it over. You said you have it on top of the sand, that wasn't a good idea because your sand will move over time and that could tuble the rocks. I used zip-ties to help hold my rock together. Some people also use putty and pvc rods yo hold together the rock. The other main thing you need it a sturdy base, this can be done by useing base rock. I always give a rock a push with my hand to make sure they are sturdy,

I used putty and I started the rock against the back wall stacked it to the top reinforced the bottom and built from there but If a fish can move a 5-15 lb rock im sure everything would come down. at least in a section.

Back