How to treat an injured fish?

OhNoNemo

i love triggers
OK,i have a semi -aggressive ,maybe an aggressive bunch....I kinda knew sooner or later this would happen.During feeding time the 3 big ones just sworm,the little guys wait for stuff to fall alittle.Anyway ,my clown trigg definately bit my angels lips.They are clearly swollen,not bleeding,but some skin is missing and they are puffed up.Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks ...Matt

Have you thought about when you feed, feed in differant areas of the tank at the same time so the smaller fish eat in a differant area and are less of a threat to the others?

I have some larger fish that ( if they're hungry enough ) will pimp slap their way into the food. Sometimes I have to use a turkey baster and move it across the water as I squeeze the bulb to disperse the food so it's more than just in one concentrated area.

Well,thats not an option,Its only at feeding time.Any other time of the day they swim right next to eachother with no problems.I'm going to try and start placing food at all different parts of the tank.I was just wondering if there was a medication or something i should use,or let it heal on its own?
Thanks

Yes there is but you would have to put it in a QT for it to be effective. I would recommend some vitamins and garlic soaked into the food. It will heal up in very little time unless the fish is unhealthy.

That's what I was thinking about as well. I'm sure that would be safe and probably do the trick. I just don't like adding unnecessary chemicals to my system. I feel it just screws with the overall chemistry of things. That's why I said use a QT.

Yeah, i agree with adding stuff,but i'm not gonna try and net him,so i'm going to pick some up later.I think Pet-co has it
Thanks...

If you use that Stress Coat,be sure to turn your skimmer off.That stuff will cause a skimmer to over flow in a hurry.
Normally what we do in cases like that at the store,is just move the injured fish into one of the back QT tanks and let it heal on its own.It usually dont take long and 99.9% of the time,the fish if fully recovered in a couple of weeks.

Started stress coat this morning,but it doesn't really say how to dose it for skin repair.Should i just add it every morning or 1 dose a week,IDK,never used it before.Does anybody know?
Thanks ,Matt
Side note:he appears to be eating and acting like his normal self,just looks like he went a round with tyson,except he got his mouth bit ,not his ear..lol

Back