Hurricane and tank question

dolphins8426

Reefing newb
I live in Orlando Florida and I have a tropical storm/hurricane coming for me. I am concerned if I lose power how long my tank will survive with out filters/pumps/skimmer etc. What would you guys suggest I do if I do lose power and how long will everything last without power. I have and xenia coral some mushrooms a torch coral and a anemone. HELP

the best thing you can do is get a generator. the corals wil only last 8 hours maybe a little more of less without circulation.

Dolphins,

I live in SW Florida. The storm looks to be heading directly towards us.
I bought a 4K watt gas generator this year! YIPPIE!
My power went out before I had it and I had a hard time with the tank.

Didn't have circulation, but I did aerate the tank with a batter powered air pump & air stone.

At least get yourself one or two of those with a ton of D cell batteries!

Good luck weathering.

I got a daughter in Gainsville. There calling for lots of rain. Before it hits them it should be a tropical storm. Good luck and let us know how things go.

Messiah has it covered.Shoot,I got a generator for my tank,and we dont have to worry about hurricanes around here.
Keeping the water moving is what its all about.Corals wont last long with water flow.

Your tank will be just fine without lights for several days. But without flow, you may start to see things go down hill within several hours. Your options are battery powered pumps/powerheads or a generator.

Thanks everyone. Well it looks like we are going to get off easy this time. Fay isn't much of anything now, just a rain maker. We will just have to wait and see

Back