Hurricane katrina killed my tank(ready for tank rebirth)

swampland

Reefing newb
Hello All,
New to this message board but i had my 130 gal reef tank setup and running for over 2 years before Hurricane katrina shut power off to my home and killed my tank (family, friends and house made out just fine. tank not so much). Well it is time to rebuild.I still have my tank and equipment, it just has been sitting in a garage since late 2005. I did an inventory today this is what i have:

130 gallon tank (72"X22"X19")
6 stage ro/di - probably need all new filters..
aqua clear aquatics-ri2100 (25w) protein skimmer
heater
vho ballast and t10 end caps (for two bulbs)
mh setup for 2- 250w bulbs (still have both bulbs 10,000)
2-10gallons tanks (me and friend made a sump out of)
wet/dry bioballs basin with associated bioballs
supreme mag pump 950gph (tank return)
guessing 50lbs of dead live rock
3" of sand across bottom of tank
3 small cooling fans
2- 295gph circulating pumps
2-106gph circulating pumps

I have not functioned tested any of this equipment since sitting up but i believe most (if not all) should still work. looking at my setup this morning i see that it needs some repairs and i was already thinking of changing things from how i had it setup before.

i am looking for any guidance or input. I have read that bioballs may not be the best idea any longer so input on sumps is greatly needed. Is there any equipment i should upgrade or not use that i currently have? I figure i will have to purchase all new ro/di filters, and atleast 2 t10 72" bulbs and maybe two new mh bulbs.

I have been out the loop for some time so have alot of reading to do, which i have been doing the last couple of days. I understand the importance of patience and am willing to take my time to establish my reef back. Plan to reseed rock and sand when that time comes. And ofcourse the economy is bad for the swamp so i will be on a budget of some sort... Thanks in advance....

Hello and Welcome!!!

I would change out the bioballs for rubble rock, much easier to take care of. I would also increase the amount of rock you have to 130+ lbs (1 lb per gallon). Marcorocks.com is a great place to pick up dry rock and then just get a few piece of live rock to seed the tank with.

I would also clean out the sand very well before you start the tank up again, otherwise you might have endless water quality issues because of all the old crap left in the sand.

I would also upgrade the powerheads. You want your total tank volume turned over around 30x per hour.

Lastly, i would get new bulbs and filters!

hello little_fish and thanks for the welcome...

i take it the rubble rock should be totally submerged unlike bioballs wet/dry setup. can i just break up some of my dead live rock and use it? if so how small should i break them up to? also what else should i put in my sump area besides my pro skimmer?

any recommendations on bulbs with my depth being 22"? mh i have now are 10,000.

also hello to you erin. thanks

Last edited:
Yep, should be totally submerged, and yes you can break up some of the old stuff you have laying around. Size really doesnt matter, the fuge is just where people tend to put the rocks that are too small to be a part of the aquascape.

Other things you can put in the sump are your heater, reactors, refuge, any equipment you dont want cluttering up the main tank.

And I dont know much about metal halide bulbs, but I think guisiman (sp?) makes the best bulbs right now.

Back