hyperpigmented clown

scubacane

Reefing newb
almost overnight my clown, and only fish in my 14G tank for weeks has developed black soot like hyperpigmentation all over his body-looks as if he was dropped through a chimney -uniform all over body- fish otherwise acts well, active , feeding well, SG 1.023, 75 degrees , 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrates. Im sorry I dont have a picture - I will send one in when I get a chance-pigmentation appears to be within clown and not growing onn skin- any thoughts ?

I don't know much about it, but maybe black ich. Try googling it and see what you come up with.

I looked it up and it says black ich is black spot distibuted over the fishes body and they are about half the size of a pin head or smaller. So basicly it's the same as ich but black. Is that what you clown looks like?

not really- these are not individual spots but more of a " dusting" all over- and the other thing is that she does not look ill otherwise- good breathing, eating well , not scratching, active, etc.

I think I know what your talking about. I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier. If you can get a pic I could probably tell you for sure. I just bought two clowns and one changed also, but it was normal. Clowns are not all the same and some take on different colors in different areas. One of mine got to looking a little dirty, and I bet thats what yours did. The only other disease I could think of is marine velvet and rust but they cause the fish to breath hard, rapid, rub against stuff, and loos of appetite. If he shows none of these signs, and eats well, then I would allmost garrenty it's just the color of the fish once he fells alittle safer in you tank.

the other thing- none of the "black soot" is on her white vertical stripes, just on the orange part-could it be some devlopmental pigment change?

Ok here is the vid notice how the bottom clown has the dark orange where as the top clown is brighter orange. Is your clown like the bottom one?
salty3_reef
[/URL][/IMG]

No worries. I actually just read a artical on Rc about this. They say it is just the fish maturing and nothing to worrie about. Good luck with em.

One of my clowns has the same thing. Was curious to know what it was as well, however, because he was eating well and acting normal I just fed with garlic and brushed it off.

that is what you call a percula clown fish. it's what makes them different to their cousin ocellaris.

That what I was thinking but the owner at the LFS said for sure they were occelaris. May be he is wrong I don't know. Not to say your wrong or anything, but can you back it up with some link or anything. Just so I know for sure. If that sounds rude I didn't mean it that way, and I'm sorry.

Back