I dont think my clam is going to make it :( 911 help?

avery155

Reefing newb
So my clam of 1 week seemed to be doing great, however this morning he didn't look right. I just got home and he seems to be pulling away from his shell. Any tips or ideas how to save him? Water params will be posted in a bit.

Please also list your lighting, and the fish you have in the tank, and how long as it been set up. a picture would be great as always

I just picked him up to look for anything and he didn't close. Does that mean he is gone?
I know there was a few small snails on his shell last night but they didn't look like sundial or pyramid snails, more like small astrea snails i brushed them off of him and went to bed last night. Last night he closed soon as I touched him and then soon as I put him back on his rock he opened right up?

90 Gallon Tank
Clam Location a bit above midway.
Lighting: 6 bulb Aquatic Life w/ Single bulb reflectors
Fish: 2 clowns, blue tank, powder blue tang, fire fish, scooter blenny, flame angel, rusty angel, coral beauty, pink spotter goby, lawnmower goby, 2 cleaner shrimp, various corals, 1 BTA

Its been set up a little over a year

Calcium is 420ppm
Ammonia is between 0.0 and .025 ppm
Nitrite is 0.0ppm
Nitrate is 0.0 ppm
Phosphate is 0.0 ppm
PH is 8.1
ALM is "normal" between 1.7-2.8 according to red sea test its like 2.0 if i had to guess but its in said normal range on color scale.

I meant high sorry I was typing as I ran the test. Nope I never seen the angels nipping. That is one of the things I kept a watchful eye for because if they wanted clam for dinner, my clam was going back to my LFS

I cant see anything too wrong besides the salinity, but it might have been too high for him to handle. Its stressful to them and at hight salinities the water contains less oxygen and he might not have been getting enough to support himself.

If you've been moving him around(picked him up), you may have ripped his foot...and once it's torn, they quickly perish. Sorry to hear about him.

hmmm, I don't know if its foot even attached to anything yet. I thought I seen it trying to attach to the rock a day or so after I got it, but the next day what ever was underneath him (his foot or what not) was gone. When I moved him yesterday I checked to see if he had attached but it didn't look like it. Soon as i went to pick him up he wobbled so I don't think it was attached yet.

On a side note that might make sense because looking at the underneath of him you can see something inside that looks like it was torn or fringy? Is it possible that he had already attached to the glass tank bottom at the LFS and when they picked him up it ripped?

I'm just bummed out about my clam. My fiance and I have been wanting one for a while and were really excited to get him. I just want to try to figure out what happened before we make a jump and try another one. I'm not a fan of killing animals until one survives.

I'm trying to see if these snails could have been a problem but from what I can see sundial snails have a lot of dark rings on their white shell, and pyramid snails have a long white shell.

The snails I am seeing at night are small, have a shell shaped like a astrea snail with some dots on them. There everywhere at night and hide in the rocks during the day.

Thanks for reading my sad rant!

between the salinity swing and the ammonia level.the clam was over stressed.clams and urchins are very susceptible to salinity issues.high salinity makes the ammonia issue multiplicative when the ability of the water to carry oxygen is affected.because of high salinity the poor clam did not have a prayer.did you find out the salinity of the tank the clam was coming from.every tank is different so research is the key

I dont actually think is his ammonia was that high, i think it was just the difficulty in reading that test. But i do agree that salinity was an issue.

Back