I got 2 New Fish....

Jenna09

Reefing newb
Well I picked up a bicolour blenny a few weeks ago and she was been doing great. I have been waiting for a diamond goby to come in at my lfs as well as a nice sailfin tang.

All of the sailfins have been jumbos lately and last night when I went in they had a nice baby sailfin and some nice smaller diamond gobies.

I picked up a beautiful diamond goby and a baby sailfin tang. Both ate at the store and looked in great health.

I dripped them both for 3 hours and then put them into the tank.

The goby went right for the rocks and the tang swam around a bit and then darted into the rocks.

I didnt see them at all yesterday after the intial drop into the tank but didnt worry because I know that is what fish do. Well this morning out popped my goby and he was doing his thing and looking great. I was peaking around looking for the tang and couldnt find it. Went back an hour later and the tang is laying on its side breathing/still alive but in the back of my rocks where I cannot reach it! I am pissed and dont know why it would be so stressed and dying.:death:

I know I have one of those shrimps in my tank that are bad that make the clicking sounds but he has been there for 8 years and I have had no luck getting it out. I could see the tang perfectly and it looked great colourwise and its fins didnt have any damage on them so I know nothing was picking at it.

I had my water tested before I got the fish and everything was spot on.

I know that is how it goes sometimes with fish but honestly it ticks me off because it was basically like flushing $30 down the toilet...minus the fact that I cant reach it to even bring it back to the store and demand my money back or at least a partial credit.

Argh!
Jenna

Congrats on the Diamond Goby, they are one of my faves!! Sorry about the sailfin. Sometimes, they just get too stressed. Some fish acclimate without any problems, and other times, they crash. How long had the store had that sailfin? If the sailfin only just arrived in that morning's shipment, it would be doubly stressed and less likely to take to a double acclimation process.

+1 AG....you never know how the fish were treated prior to reaching the lfs...that's a lot of stress to put on li'l guys. Sometimes, you never know when they last ate. Just luck of the draw.

They have had the sailfin since Thursday. He was eating good and has really tiny but not skinny. His fins were in great shape and he had amazing colour.

I have never had bad luck with tangs in the past. I will probably end up getting a blue tang again and just stick with what has worked before lol!

Too bad because he was so cute and I had even named him sunshine.

Maybe when I get home he will have made a miraculous recovery...:shock:

Jenna

*L* I've gotten in the habit of not naming a fish until it has survived 1 week in my tank. How small is "tiny"? Most tangs smaller than 2" will have difficulty surviving in our tanks. Hard to say though.

It was small...probably around the 2" mark possibly slightly bigger. But I really wanted a sailfin and I had asked them to order me in one...the one they got was a jumbo and I wouldnt take it. I felt bad for that one because it is literally the biggest sailfin I have ever seen and will probably end up in their shark display tank.

This tiny one came in as a "surprise" in the shipment and I figured I would try it out. They also had a great looking 3.5"ish sized clown tang for the same price and I said I would take either of the 2 but which ever one they thought would have the best survival rate....they said the sailfin and that is what I got. I wasnt disappointed because I really wanted the sailfin and thought he was super cute.

Boo hoo for me lol!
Jenna

clown tangs generally don't survive long. But IME really small fishes don't survive long either. I think shipping and acclimation just stress them out to much.

hopefully your little guy is better when you get home today.

I guess I have just had goodluck in the past with really small fish lol. My blue tang I had started off the size of a nickle and he thrived. My clownfish also started off the size of like peanuts and they did well to.

Oh well...maybe this sailfin was just "resting" and will be fine when I get home. If not my CUC will be having a party and getting an expensive meal.:frustrat:

Jenna

Clown tangs shouldn't be sold in this hobby, IMO. They are "expert only" fish that rarely live longer than a month or two in captivity. My LFS has had one in their display tank for years, but that is honestly the only clown tang that I have seen someone have long-term success with. You made a good choice passing on that fish.

He's definitely dead and there is no evidence of him ever even being in the tank!

On a happier note the goby is doing excellent!

I will post a pic of him soon...I am holding off on naming him lol!!

Jenna

Back