I have a few things happening

Kully3xf

Reefer Madness
In one week's time I will be moving to a new apartment about a half hour down the road... this leads me to two things, the move, and a tank upgrade; looking for advice on both. I'm not new to the hobby, i just couldn't decide on an appropriate sub forum.

Here's my plan, please adjust if need be.

Im going to buy a bunch of home depot 5 gal buckets, drain the water from my tank into them
Place the fish into one bucket with some pvc, and a small heater and move them on the first run
put the corals into another 5 or maybe 10 gallon bucket with a heater and a low flow ph to keep water movement at the new apt while setting up the tank again
drain the rest of the water out of the tank
put all non ness. rock in a box with a towel or something and drive it all over there.
empty out all sand and discard
I will have about 10 gallons of premixed, and heated water ready at the new place.
upon arrival level the tank and what not and fill it with 1/2-3/4 old water, fill the rest up with new water
fill it back up with rocks and stuff, add coral and fish
hope for best?

I'm also going to be upgrading my tank to a larger system this summer. I would like to do it around end of June. Is a month good enough time to let the system get back to normal before i stress it all again with another move?

My family is moving to Germany, and I'm staying stateside, but end of June I'm going to visit for 2 weeks. I'm thinking I can get the new tank set up and cycle it while i'm gone and then when i get back slowly start adding the stuff from one tank to the other? Is it better to do it this way, or to just pretend it's a big water change and move it all at once.

thats how i rolled when i moved across town. only problem i see is a mention of trying to move a 10g container...very heavy, i would stick to 5 gallon buckets.

Thanks for all the approval guys. and yeah a 10 gallon is heavy, but I ment to have at the apt... just so the corals that are attached to rocks can be fully immersed.

Back