i have a nitrate issue!

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
I have had my tank up since march and after the cycle was over my nitrate went down to zero and all has been well since then. Well a little over a week ago I got my water tested by my lfs and they said its perfect and I even looked at the colors myself to see. And then about a week later I bought my own marine api test kit so I could monitor it better myself. So I tested as soon as I got it home and I shook the nitrate bottle #2 like it said and my nitrate level came out 20 at least! So I did a 25% water change and then tested and I still had nitrates. So the next day I did another 25% water change. And I brought my test kit back to the store and had them test with theirs and then with mine in case mine is wrong or something. Bc I didn't understand how I got such a spike in one week... well he tested with both and both came out zero. That was yesterday and I bought some cheato and put it in the tank. Well today I tested and the nitrates are at about 10. Idk why my lfs tests and they are zero and when I test they arent zero. I think what may have caused the spike could be I had a chunk of cheato die bc it got stuck behind a rock with no light. I went to get it out and it went there so I'm guessing it disintegrated. Soo my question now is since I did two water changes two days ago and added cheato do I just wait it out and the nitrate will go back down to zero? I have four fish in my tank so I'm not over stocked. Two ocellaris clowns, a six line and a blue spotted jawfish. The jawfish isn't doing well with the nitrates. So what should I do? Thanks in advance. I hope I didn't confide anybody on my situation. I confuse myself sometimes lol :-)

Oh and also could I be that I am getting a false high reading bc I have lots of hermits, a maxi mini anemone, flame scallop and a coco worm and all of them are fine and I know that invertebrates can not handle nitrates...

Is there an experation date on your test kit? Is there anyone else you can test your kit against? If you bought it from the same LFS that is testing your water now, bring a water sample with you with the kit and show them the difference and see if they will trade you another one.

I did bring my test kit in and he tested my water with both his and mine and they came out the same and then when I tested at home the next day it was different..no I don't have anyone else to test my water against :(

If you don't mix the #2 bottle enough the reading comes out as near zero. Did the guy shake it for 30 seconds?

Yah, I test my water a few times and I was like "YAY MY NITRATES ARE 3 PPM!!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:"

Then I read the instructions and it said 30 seconds and I was like ohhh...

So I just mixed it a bit more and it came out around 30.

Probably they were reading it wrong the whole time.

I honestly don't know if dying cheato gave you a nitrate spike or not?? Hopefully someone can chime in on that. If it did then I'd suspect your water was probably fine before this whole episode.

I'm so confused idk what made my nitrates spike. That's the only thing that has died so I thought maybe it released the nitrates that it absorbed..idk. I do regular water changes every two weeks. I had an aquaclear HOB filter running and I turned that off. All I had in it though was live sand and a sponge so I don't think that turning that off would affect anything. I didnt think it was necessary to run since I have live rock, live sand and a protein skimmer..maybe its going thru a mini cycle? I don't think so though..sorry I'm just thinking out loud..

I had a similar problem. Nitrates were at about 20 and when I got back after being gone for a few days they were above 40. No one was fed and nothing changed so I was completely stumped. :12:

Last edited:
So what did you do to fix it? Water changes? Bc I already did two 25 percent changes and I still have nitrates.

Okay so say I did have nitrates all this time. How are my inverts still alive and healthy...

While they generally don't tolerate it, they can survive it. My nitrates in my 45g at one point were up to 120ppm...and all my inverts survived it fine. Not to say it was a healthy environment, but they did survive it.

Back