I knew this would happen...lol... Bigger Tank Advice

cam2fst4u

Reefing newb
Ok...Well... I had to fight with my wife to set the salt tank back up.. She wanted to do a freshwater but I stood my ground and well we have the saltwater tank now.. Now she really likes it since we have some fish in there and she wants a bigger tank (I wanted to originally set up the 75 but she didn't want to do it lol ) I want to do at least 125 if not bigger... she wants lots of fish and corals.. The biggest problem is the floor. It would be upstairs and Im worried about the weight. now with that being said.. the joist are 2 3/4" by 7 1/2" (came from a old saw mill) 16" on center. Now I am thinking this should be stronger than most floors but still concerned. I have looked at the location for the placement and the tank would be sitting across the joists instead of in the same direction. This also I think helps. There is also a wall below the floor in about the same place as the tank would be +/- 1'

What Size tank do you think I would be able to do with out worrying about the tank going downstairs.. lol...

I dont want to end up buying a big tank and start to fill it with water and hear the floor creaking

Thanks for the replies in advance

(oh and mods sorry if this isn't in the right section. )

I think you'd be alright with a 125 up there.
As long as the tanks running across the joists your good.And being right above the wall is an even bigger plus.
I think your biggest problem will be getting the tank up the stairs:D

If that is all I have to worry about then I should be good. I almost bought a 125 today off of craigslist... They had it as a freshwater setup. So basically I would just be able to use the tank. I want to build the cabinet and canopy myself. Just dont know where to start. My wife wants me to build one for the 30 gal to see if I can do it....lol...

I guess the question is now... Should I do a sump tank or refuge or nothing? It seems that from everything I have heard everyone is against one or the other. I definately don't want to come home and find all the water on the floor. I am wanting to do a reef tank.

If anyone knows of a good 30 gal stand and canopy plan let me know

Since your wanting to go reef,then a sump system is gonna be your best bet.
Most folks will section off part of their sump as the refugium,which works pretty good.

nice build wes and cool web cam on your tank. I am currently building a new cabinet stand for my 30 to prove my wife that I can do it... lol... I build the top and bottom frame now I just have to put the 2x4s in between and Im not good at the corners..lol... ugh.. Hopefully I can get it done. I forgot about that until I started trying to get it screwed together

Yea that's a though part. You can use a 1/2" or 3/4" board on the side to keep it square. It help the support too.

here is my feable attempt at making my 30 gal tank stand/cabinet

:grumble:

Attachments

• cabinet1.JPG
    cabinet1.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,172
I am hoping that it will start looking better to me the further along I go but right now Im not too happy with it. maybe after I get some stain and doors on it it will be better

Back