I love this fish!

Acrylic

Reefing newb
So here's my latest addition to my tank:

Aquarium072.jpg

This guy is amazing. I had a little bit of Caulerpa (thanks Biff) growing on a rock - gone in a couple days. Little bits of hair algae - gone. He'll eat anything I throw in there. The clowns leave him alone. He evens seems to pester the bigger clown, which I find hilarious. The clown just doesn't seem to know what to do about this big (the foxface is the bigger of the two) fish with spikes on his back and belly. Love him. Haven't got a name yet, but in my head I call him $@#$face. So that is more than likely his name from now on, haha.

What else.. I had an emerald crab molt over night - scared me when I woke up and looked in to see this "crab" just sitting there not moving. But I looked around, found two live crabs and realized what had happened. Very cool.

Umm what else.. both clowns are doing well. The little ones' fins are in perfect condition, and they really don't bother one another.

I'm a happy camper.

Here's another picture, and my apologies for the boring nature of my pics.

Aquarium036.jpg

Looks great! Foxfaces are definitely awesome fish. I've been toying with the idea of adding one to my tank, but I already have 3 tangs and no algae... Yote's foxface jumped out of his tank, they are not known to be jumpers, but I hope you have some sort of a cover or eggcrate over your tank just in case. Good luck with the guy!

I've always like that fish. it seems that they lose color a lot when they get older sadly. not sure if anyone else has seemed to notice that

Dominick, I think you were misinformed. I have never heard of them nipping at corals. There is a slight risk, but less than with a pygmy angel. Both show tanks at the fish stores near my house have magnificent foxface rabbitfish in their tanks. I am a fan of the magnificent foxface over the one-spot, but both are reef safe IMHO. I have had three in my time, none of which did a thing to corals, but LOVED Nori and anything I tossed into the tank. Unique fish and quite fun to watch, especially when they change colors at night.

-Doc

Nice Foxface, they have a few at my LFS and always take a long look at them.. Difficult to keep? I know yote lost his to a jump or something...

Not usually difficult to keep. Not usually jumpers. I've never heard of them nipping at corals either. But they do have toxins in their spines, so be careful handling them.

I don't know about the whole nipping at corals things, and it'll be a long time before I even think about corals. He does eat a lot though - a veritable pig.

The selection at my LFS isn't too varied - I think it would be a long time before I saw a Magnificent Foxface. I agree those are nicer looking than the Onespot.

I can say that they seem a bit skittish. It doesn't take much to make him bolt under a rock and flush his skin in brown blotches (neat looking, but tends to make him breathe hard so I try to avoid it at all costs). Sometimes I think just opening the door to my room sends him scurrying. But he doesn't panic for too long, and is out and swimming in full color in a couple minutes. This is especially true when I put my hand in the tank to adjust a powerhead or what-not. At least he doesn't attack me, I hear the venom is painful.

I've got my tank covered with eggcrate so I'm not worried at all about him jumping.

Congrats on the foxface.Like Biff said,put some eggcrete over your tank.Even though their not known jumpers,dont mean that they wont go carpet surfing.

Hopefully my new foxface will be in soon.Ordered me a small one through my LFS.

I got hit once from mine. It hurt for about 20 minutes. You have to be careful if you are allergic to bee stings

-Doc

Dominick, I think you were misinformed. I have never heard of them nipping at corals. There is a slight risk, but less than with a pygmy angel. Both show tanks at the fish stores near my house have magnificent foxface rabbitfish in their tanks. I am a fan of the magnificent foxface over the one-spot, but both are reef safe IMHO. I have had three in my time, none of which did a thing to corals, but LOVED Nori and anything I tossed into the tank. Unique fish and quite fun to watch, especially when they change colors at night.

-Doc

I've read it on a few websites that they may nip on corals.I never had one so I take your word on it.I'm sure its a very slight chance.Tangs aren't suppose to nip on corals either but my Powder Brown doesn't mine pulling the heads off the xenias,go figure.

If a rabbitfish doesnt get the algae that they need in their diet,they will sometimes turn to the algae that our corals rely on to suppliment.

Seaweed is a type of algae, and any animal that eats algae will looooove the seaweed. Sometimes that's a bad thing, like in the case of my blenny who ONLY will eat seaweed sheets now that he's been spoiled with them.

Back