I need camera advice/education...

fishmom

Certified Hospice Nurse
Howdy folks......been away from LR for a while. My dad passed away Monday 2-14-11.....(he was 90 years old). Miss him terribly. But, he did enjoy coming to my house and admiring the tank!!
I am wanting to get a new camera (for many different reasons) . Obviously wanting to take some good shots of the tank, but also for everyday use and want something that will let me take better pics with more detail and all.

Looking for something that will shoot the tank, outdoors on hikes (great little flowers and mushrooms on sides of dead logs, etc and far off waterfalls), indoor pics of the family (real folks and the dogs).....and on and on---

Any info would be appreciated....also--something I could actually learn to use!!!
~debi~

Hey fishmom, very sorry to hear about your father but it sounds like he had a nice long life.

For your camera, are you looking for an SLR or something a little less bulky that you'll be more apt to carry around to places? For a beginner DSLR, I think you'll like either the D3000 or D5000. They're very good beginner cameras but are also cameras that once you learn all the functions can be very versatile.

Sorry for your loss Debi...
I have an Olympus E-420.....lightest,smallest DSLR you can get...and fairly cheap....i love it

Hey fishmom, very sorry to hear about your father but it sounds like he had a nice long life.

For your camera, are you looking for an SLR or something a little less bulky that you'll be more apt to carry around to places? For a beginner DSLR, I think you'll like either the D3000 or D5000. They're very good beginner cameras but are also cameras that once you learn all the functions can be very versatile.

Ahh a nikon person. If you are wanting a DSLR those are amazing nikon cameras, if you want to look toward canon I would suggest a T2i, and they should be getting a little bit cheaper since the t3i is coming out soon. Either way you go you will not be disappointed.

And im sorry to hear about your loss.

Ahh a nikon person.
hahaha oh a Canon person. I actually did look at the Canon's when I bought my newest camera and I would have gotten it too but, it would have meant having to replace 3 lenses. So it meant stickin with Nikon, and I don't regret it either.

Ahh the canon and nikon crowd, don't forget about the Sony alpha Dslr cameras. I have had my a230 for about a year now and love it. I like the fact that I can get old minolta af lenses for cheap and the work with the a mount.

Your best bet us to go to a store and pick up the cameras, explore the functions and see which one fits you the best. Remember any Dslr will take amazing pictures and give you a lot of room to grow unlike a point and shoot.

You will get a lot of different answers from people. Some love their Nikon, some love their Canon. The best thing you can do is visit the local camera shop. Pick up and play with all of them. Figure out which ones feel good in your hands, which ones give you the options you want, and which are user friendly enough for you. Keep in mind that DSLR cameras have interchangable lenes for shots like Macro, zoom, and telephoto so pricing on accessories is another thing to look into.

I have a Canon Powershot S3iS and can't figure the thing out to save my life. Has a macro setting. I ended up with blobs :dunno:

Back