I picked a fish...Finally

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
I didn't say I bought one:D

Ok, my ammonia is going down, the test is not quite green anymore, more like a yellowy green, so I'm getting closer to the big day! Once my nitrites go down, I've found my fish. I want Green Chromis. I know they're a little boring in color, but bear with me.

I'll give you the reasons why I'm picking it, you tell me if I'm making the right decision.

Pros:

1. They seem like they would be a good starter fish, they're cheap, they're hearty, and they can deal with some adverse water conditions. (Just in case I screw something up.)
2. At the LFS they seem to be very active fish So they're fun to watch.
3. I read they generally stay within the top 1/2 of the tank. Just in case something else wants the bottom.
4. They're not like other damsels as far as being aggressive. Relatively peaceful.
5. They are small, don't take up alot of space.

That's what it says on paper.

Cons:

1. They're small, could become dinner for somebody.
2. They should be kept in an odd numbered shoal ( which is also a plus, I've got 3 kids, get 3 Chromis)

So my question is:

1. What is your experience with the Green Chromis?
2. When starting a tank, everything I read states one fish at a time, 3 chromis are the size of 1 regular fish right? (90g tank) I will/would get only one if it won't damage him, but it seems like they're like horses and should be kept together.

What would you do?

You will want to add them all at one time IMO.I have 3 and they are great fish to watch. Nothing messes with them and they keep to themselves. Good choice for a first (3) fish. Just make sure that you cycle is complete and you have plenty of live rock before you add them. Good luck.

I had 3 reef chromis in my tank that were the larger ones. About 2 inches long. They were great fish. I don't think they are that boring of a fish at all. I would absolutly have more of em. I would love to someday have a larger 200+ gallon tank and put like 20 of those guys in it since they are a schooling fish.

Just FYI, though they are hearty when their healthy, they have a high rate of illness. Inspect their gills and body for any sign of redness, and make sure that they are swimming and eating healthy. Their problems usually stem from the methods they use to collect them, so if they survive the first month in your tank, they are likely to be just fine. Make sure that you don't buy them right after they are delivered. Give them a chance to settle in at the LFS a bit before you take them home. Good luck!

Well, crap.

Do you think if the dominant fish started to become aggressive that you could do the ol' pull em out of the tank move the rocks around trick?

By the way, nice job raining on my parade...Only took me a month to pick out a damn fish.:frustrat::D

Well, crap.

Do you think if the dominant fish started to become aggressive that you could do the ol' pull em out of the tank move the rocks around trick?

By the way, nice job raining on my parade...Only took me a month to pick out a damn fish.:frustrat::D

This is the first time I have ever heard of blue green Chromis being in the least bit aggressive. I literally would hand feed mine. I would always put my hand in the tank before releasing the food so they got used to that and would come sit in my hand waiting on the food.

I have with damsels on one occasion banished em to the sump for a month then re released em to the tank where they then behaved.

Sorry from me too.

We're not saying ''don't get it'',just know that there is a risk with everything in this hobby.I've seen peaceful fish aggressive and aggressive fish peaceful.

I read somewhere today that there's another chromis that looks very similar to the green chromis but it has a small black dot on it's body, and it is aggressive, maybe people (LFS) are mixing them up? Who knows.

I'm gonna give it a try.

On that subject...My LFS also had snails labeled as nassarius snails, but they were clearly astrea snails....They look about as different as a cat and a dog to me, and I've been looking at saltwater livestock for all of 2 months. hmmmm.

Sorry from me too.

We're not saying ''don't get it'',just know that there is a risk with everything in this hobby.I've seen peaceful fish aggressive and aggressive fish peaceful.

+1 reef LOL Sorry I busted your bubble! We just got done discussing other people's bad lucks with chromis, but you'll see that in that same thread, there are mentions of people who DID have good luck with them.

It's not that they're not peaceful....chromis are very peaceful, but from what some people here and the other forum said, they just had no luck keeping more than 1. They're fine with other fish but for some reason, in a home tank environment, they seem to just either get sick and die, or they fight and fight each other until "there is only one".

I bought 2 firefish last year. They were in the same tank at the lfs, getting along great. So I figured they would get along at home (even though it says only mated pairs can be kept together). I figured they were boyfriend-girlfriend or something LOL....one ended up nipping and attacking the other until the other's dorsal fin was gone. I moved that aggressive one to a 10g, and the other one's dorsal fin grew back. But see? Firefish as super peaceful, but can be vicious to its own kind. (since the 6 month time out in the 10g, they're now back together in a 125 and ignoring each other).

Just my :twocents: :mrgreen:

Good luck on the chromis. im trying to catch me some Guam Chromis but they are fast! Fire gobies are also fun to have as a first fish

...I bought 2 firefish last year. They were in the same tank at the lfs, getting along great. So I figured they would get along at home (even though it says only mated pairs can be kept together). I figured they were boyfriend-girlfriend or something LOL....one ended up nipping and attacking the other until the other's dorsal fin was gone...

ahhh! hope that doesnt happen to me!

I figured that this would be a way for me to get the kids involved and spend a little time with 'em, they're excited to pick out a fish. . (Do you have any idea how long a tank cycle feels to a 6 yr old? It's like eternity.) I'm surprised they're not trying to test for Ammonia on their own.

So what could be better than 3 chromis one for each kid.

FFW to one month later....Dad where's my fish? Well honey, life is funny that way, sometimes it comes to a screeching halt.:D

I'm going to give the green chromis a try. I'll go with 3 and see where that gets me.

i would add one every week or two to give your tank a chance to catch up with the bioload. that way your fishes have a better chance at surviving. for acclimation, the dripping method is a must.

FFW to one month later....Dad where's my fish? Well honey, life is funny that way, sometimes it comes to a screeching halt.:D

LOL!!! Yeah, my daughter (she's 8, so of course has better understanding of death) has gone through the death of our cat (within milliseconds of me telling her about the death, she asks "Can we get another cat?" in between sobs LOL), the death of her first fish in her 10g saltwater (a nice li'l 2 spot goby), death of a mushroom that I squished (bad mommy!), death of one of our clowns, and finally death of our 2nd goby (a clown goby).

Needless to say, she's taken each death easier and easier, in that she's sad, but understand that it's what happens.

I really do wish you luck on your chromis :) I hope you do well, because I love chromis, and want to hear good stories now LOL

Back