I picked a fish...Finally

Personally,I've never seen an aggressive Chromis.But for a fish thats supposed to be hardy,they dont seem to live very long for some reason.

:twocents:
i would add one every week or two to give your tank a chance to catch up with the bioload. that way your fishes have a better chance at surviving. for acclimation, the dripping method is a must.
I would not reccomend that with chromis. They will just about for sure attack eachother if not added at the same time. I would buy 3 from the same store from the same school if i was you. You will have a better chance of them getting along and the bioload on a 90 with adding 3 chromis and no other fish in the tank should be pretty much nothing. Just my :twocents:. (normally it would be true to only ad 1 fish per month)

Last edited:
Thanks QueenAngel,

Tha's my plan. Buy them all at one time, I would think (like you) if they're already swimming around together at the LFS they will probably be a bit more tolerant of each other.

We'll see...In what I'm suspecting will be about 3 weeks from now!... I swear if I test my water for ammonia anymore, I'm going to have to buy a new ammonia kit before I even get fish!

Thanks QueenAngel,

Tha's my plan. Buy them all at one time, I would think (like you) if they're already swimming around together at the LFS they will probably be a bit more tolerant of each other.

We'll see...In what I'm suspecting will be about 3 weeks from now!... I swear if I test my water for ammonia anymore, I'm going to have to buy a new ammonia kit before I even get fish!
Im the same way every time i set up a new tank, even though i have several it is still a pain to wait fo rthe new one. Good luck:Cheers::Cheers:

Go for the Chromis they are a great fish. They are also small enough and hardy enough you can get away with adding all 3 at the same time.

This is purely anecdotal(maybe more fact) but fish shoal for protection.Alone chromis look boring,in nice size shoals they can be stunning.I believe they do better in large systems with bigger fish that may pose a threat....not necessary eat or chase them but just there presence.Personally,I would add them last and if they feel threatened maybe less fighting,less lightly one becoming the bully.

I've read, though, that it's best to add the more docile fish first, so that way they get the lay of the land, so by the time the more aggressive fish join, the docile fish would already "own" the tank and be less apt to be bullied.

I mean, who actually ends up following their planned order anyway ;) LOL I buy whatever I see first!

I have four green cromis had five but I killed one when moving rock.I have had them a year and they are all fine.Dull fish yes but I like them they are always out moving around and they dont F&%k with anything in the tank. I wouldnt want a tank with out them.

You mean the third plan that you make up when you're at the LFS ditching the first and second plan because you see another fish you want instead? :mrgreen:
Thats the the one, also know as the F&%K it I will get that one plan. :^:

I started with 20 Chromis. Very cool to watch them school. Some got eaten by Green Brittle Stars, some went onto the floor, and some went in to the drain trough. I have only four left after about a year and a half. :(

Back