I spoiled myself with 2 new SPS today

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
Here's a nice encrusting monti that will hopefully get a little healthier, it looked a whole lot better at the store
lavenderencrustingmonti09-02-08.JPG

And this was the best shot I could get of the scroll. This is my first scroll, hopefully it thrives
scroll09-02-08.JPG

There's lots to learn, I've got a whole lifetime of learning about this hobby, that's for sure. My best advice to you is just be very very patient, I was probably like a lot of other people and jumped into adding stuff way too fast, and lots of things died as a result. It also is easier on the wallet by picking up a thing or two at a time a few weeks apart lol

yea, i just learned that the hard way.lol. I just dropped 2000 on it and all i got is the 90g tank, wet/dry, sump, skimmer, 2 powerheads, 2 clowns, 2 damsels, 1 tang some LR and LS. WTF. I was doubtful for a minute. But im tryna be understanding that this is going to turn out well.

I need to start pacing myself before i go completely broke and be forced to eat pb&j sandwiches for a few MONTHS... lol

Yeah that LR cost sneaks up on you FAST! When I set up the 110, I got smart and bought 50lbs of good base rock for $2/lb from a wholesaler and seeded it with a few lbs of LR from my 55g. Now 9 months later all the base rock is quite live, covered in corraline and home to pods, etc. I've probably spent about $800 on LR alone totalling maybe 200lbs , including the base rock. Yikes!

Thats some good looking corals.Good luck with em.

AInt no way I'd even try to figure how much money I've got tied up in my rock.180lbs or so in a 75gal tank.AT least when I start the 125 project,I wont have to worry about more rock.

nice corals :)

so far lets see
lights $600(including bulbs)
LR ~$500
fish dead ~ $600
fish still alive :)$400
skimmer $250
coral ~ $400
nic nacs $500

and the cheapest thing i got is the actual tank and stand with canopy for 150$ on craigslist

lol i remember yote told me to be prepared caus ethe cheapest thing WOULD be my tank lol

and im on the cheap side lol

Yeah the tank's very cheap, so are the first couple of damsels/clowns. Then the "necessary" things begin-- cleaner crew, lights (you want SPS someday right?). How about electricity to power those 35 pumps skimmers halides moonlights actinics powerheads fans?!? My tank uses more juice than my house's AC and pool pump!
Dead fish/coral? eeeeugh I don't even want to think about it.

They look good. I've been told that I cannot have sps in my 12g aquapod. Is that true? Don't they need special lighting?

Depending on what SPS you want, there are some deepwater acros etc that can thrive under minimal lighting, but check into it thoroughly before you buy one, make sure what lighting you have is sufficient, etc

usually the bluer you get with an acro the higher lighting youll need since it will come from shallower water, from what i have heard

Back