i think my coral beauty has ich

newtoit

Reefing newb
this is my first time experiencing ich. i just bought this fish and i didnt see the white spots at first and after a few hours i noticed a few small specks i just thught it was bubbles or sand from putting him in the tank but now they are all over him. he is the only fish in the tank but i do have snails coral and lr. i do not have a fuge but read it is easy to set up a small hospital tank.. i have been trying to find the best way to go about this and i have found that they recommend to setup a tank with low salt and keep them in there for 14 days and slowly bring the salt back up. what do yall think of this? is there another way you suggest? i also have Quick Cure should i put that in there too i havent ever used it.

I have a Naso Blonde, Yellow Tang, Salfin Tang & Tomini Tang that caught ich 2 weeks after introducing my PB Tang to the tank. I used the product "Ich Attack" & increased my feedings to 2 times a day for 14 days. By the 8th day that ich was gone, but I dosed for 6 xtra days just for good measure. My only side affect from the product was that the polyps on my corals would only extend about 75% of what they normally would have, but that stopped after I did a 30% water change. Hope this info helps. Good Luck

First of all you need to examine that fish more. I too have one and it is always swimming between the rocks and gets what resembles ich but it isn't. I was really worried the first time but now I can easily tell the difference between ich and crumbs but they look similar and stick to the fins and everything. Just see if they are bumpy or just flat.

Also that ich attack is actually good and I think it works actually. Just make sure you get the reef safe because the one that isn't has non natural ingredients not safe. I talked to the company and of course no skimmer.

It could actually help but you have to have it in the water when the stuff falls off the fish because it can't kill it when it is still on the fish. Nothing can really.

I also heard cleaner shrimp can try to help during that stage but you can't quote me personally. I even heard from people the UV sterilizer will kill whatever floats into it.

You can try the whole combs to turn the odds in your favor I suppose. I do have the shrimps and UV just in case but its most likely impossible to avoid for most tanks.

Since it's your only fish right now, if you choose to qt, you must leave it in qt for a few weeks, and leave your main tank fallow (fishless) because if you don't, and you treat your cb then put it back in the tank again too soon, it will catch ich again. But if you leave it fallow long enough (I think the magic number is 8 weeks, but I forget), you will have given the ich enough time to die off, and you will no longer have ich no matter how stressed your fish get (and you'll be good to go if you treat ALL incoming fish in qt for ich in qt before putting them in your main tank). Those who qt ALL incoming fish never worry about ich.

Or....you can be like most of us, and just do nothing. If the fish is otherwise eating, they tend do fight the ich on their own. Just feed your fish high quality food and keep the water conditions pristine. Of course we also know that we run that risk of a wipe out from ich. We just try to keep them healthy and happy.

Thanks for all the advise im still not really sure what im going to do. the cb has been in the tank for about 4 days now and he is actually swimming around and eating unlike the first 3 day he would hide all day. So i think i will just leave him in the main tank and keep an eye on him

Back