Icecap Ballast

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
Is it safe to mount my ballast inside the canopy with the lights? I don't have enough length on the cables to mount it much anywhere else. Would it get too hot?

I would drill a hole in the canopy to fish the wires out and mount it outside. I would not want that extra heat in the canopy plus all the moisture working on the metal housing.

Thanks everyone!

Capt~
My ballast came pre-wired and I would have to cut the wires to mount it externally. I'm not sure I want to do that as it may void the warranty I have on it. I've also managed to hide all of my aquarium periferals and an external mounting would be the exception.

Daugherty~
I do have 2 fans in my canopy (one intake, one exhaust) and two front-facing vents. My biggest concern was the proximity to the overall heat source of my lighting system.

Could you cut a small notch in the back of canopy for the wires?
I personally wouldn't trust the ballast being inside the canopy.That could be a fire hazard.

if you cant move it i would be worried about heat and moisture and it rusting. you could build a box and vent the box to behind the tank and have fans that circulate air through it to cool the ballast

You might be able to get the wires out of the endcaps. Usually, they have a little hole to stick paperclip or other small wire in to release the wire.

Brian

Back