ich garlic

The garlic at my LFS it expensive...like $20 for a pretty small bottle...so it might be costly everywhere. The good news is, one bottle lasts FOREVER. Even if you use it everyday.

Garlic only makes the fish eat the food. Use amino and omega and vitamin C supplements if you go that route. The idea is to get the fish to fight it on thier own and these things make them healthy. Good luck. Works if they are eating, if not, qt them.

Thanks everyone..the guy at the LFS told me the same. He said that because the fish is eating I don't need it. It will fight it off on it's own if I leave it alone. He didn't know much about vitamin c though. Does that do the same? Make them eat like garlic would?

vitamin C i was told is a good thing. that and amino acids. I soak my nori in vitamin c and amino acid solution before feeding.

fish need their vitamins just like we do. and eating right helps our immune system fight off disease.

Ahh,yes,the garlic and ich debate again

There is no, or never was, a debate on here about garlic and ich. Most people on here know the difference between treating ich and the benefits of using garlic and vitamins for healthy fish. TWO different subjects

Over-analyzing....I've seen debates plenty of times....

Anyways- Garlic soaked foods IS in fact a treatment....but not a cure...."common cold analogy"
Ex. Ich= a common cold.....can lead to pneumonia and death it gets bad enough, but if you get plenty of rest and take care of yourself you can fight of the burden of disease (garlic food)...if you are a severe case, antibiotics (cupramine, copper, low salinity, qt) may be needed...

Now the debate- can any tank truly be ich free?(we are always being exposed to stuff, hence, the common cold) what about when purchasing corals, fish, verts? technically any free swimming ich parasites could be on the coral, if the coral is wet upon putting it in your tank? should we qt and treat ich? if you do then your DT has to go fishless for 6-8 weeks or upon putting treated fish back into the main tank, ich will just re-develop....or should we expect ich and help our fish tackle it like the common cold which may or may not develop into a severe case of pneumonia/ death!

This is the debate in a nutshell, just for your background....there is really no right or wrong answer, unless statistical research has been conducted where fish survival rates have been calculated and observed through both methods of thinking....as such, I will not express my opinion as to decrease any chances of a further debate....lol

This is more than you wanted to know, but had fun typing :D

...re-read post....cold depending on complications can lead to death....several paths...weakened immune system, infection, pnemonia, death......in which antibiotics would be needed.....

Over-analyzing....I've seen debates plenty of times....

Anyways- Garlic soaked foods IS in fact a treatment....but not a cure...."common cold analogy"
Ex. Ich= a common cold.....can lead to pneumonia and death it gets bad enough, but if you get plenty of rest and take care of yourself you can fight of the burden of disease (garlic food)...if you are a severe case, antibiotics (cupramine, copper, low salinity, qt) may be needed...

Now the debate- can any tank truly be ich free?(we are always being exposed to stuff, hence, the common cold) what about when purchasing corals, fish, verts? technically any free swimming ich parasites could be on the coral, if the coral is wet upon putting it in your tank? should we qt and treat ich? if you do then your DT has to go fishless for 6-8 weeks or upon putting treated fish back into the main tank, ich will just re-develop....or should we expect ich and help our fish tackle it like the common cold which may or may not develop into a severe case of pneumonia/ death!

This is the debate in a nutshell, just for your background....there is really no right or wrong answer, unless statistical research has been conducted where fish survival rates have been calculated and observed through both methods of thinking....as such, I will not express my opinion as to decrease any chances of a further debate....lol

This is more than you wanted to know, but had fun typing :D

This is all good information, but nothing new!

I understand antibiotics will work to treat secondary symptoms of the cold, but as I said, antibiotics will do nothing against the cold virus itself. That makes it an invalid comparison to ich. The proven treatments for ich -- copper and hyposalinity -- actually do work to kill the parasite. There are no proven treatments against the cold virus.

Overall your post is correct and you have good points, but just thought it prudent to clarify that there is a difference.

may be new to original poster....

ya i see you're point in that context....perhaps swine flu would be a better comparison

Last edited:
Back