Ich in new tank - help please

CMOS

Reefing newb
Hello All,

I need help. Here's the scoop: New 50 gal tank that I plan on making a reef tank, about 8 weeks old, cycle complete. I have about 40-45 lbs live rock, a Firefish Goby, Banded Coral Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, and 2 days ago I added a Coral Beauty, who now appears to have Ich.

I've read a few threads about Marine Ich (MI) and am not encouraged.

What are my options here? What can I do so that I will still be able to make this a reef tank in the future?

What do y'all suggest I do considering that I only have 2 fish in this tank (and 2 shrimp) and have not yet added any corals?

If I remove the fish to a QT, do the shrimp in my main tank still host the MI or do I have to remove EVERYTHING from the tank?

Thanks for any help,
CMOS
mad.gif

Is the fish still eating? If so, wait it out. It's not uncommon for fish to get ich when they're first introduced to a tank. Just the stress of the move is enough. Buy or make some garlic extract (you can get it from Petco, Petsmart, or your LFS), and soak the food in the garlic before feeding. That'll help boost the immune system. Most fish get over it themselves just fine, as long as your water quality is good and they haven't stopped eating.

Is the fish still eating? If so, wait it out. It's not uncommon for fish to get ich when they're first introduced to a tank. Just the stress of the move is enough. Buy or make some garlic extract (you can get it from Petco, Petsmart, or your LFS), and soak the food in the garlic before feeding. That'll help boost the immune system. Most fish get over it themselves just fine, as long as your water quality is good and they haven't stopped eating.

Biffer,

She hides the reef and peeks out now and then BUT - it is possible that what I saw yesterday was some sand particles. I don't see any spots today although I have not yet gotten a "full body shot" look at her. I'll keep watching today and observe. I will also, for preventative sake, get some of the Garlic additive for the food.

Thanks for the reply. FINGERS CROSSED!

CMOS

I have a 75 gal 6 week old tank, I put a pearlscale butterfly in about aweek ago and I noticed ich on it today, went to the LFS and bought a cleaner shrimp. Within an hour of introducing the shrimp the butterfly was putting himself in the shrimps' face until the shrimp started eating the parasite off, and the shrimp has been at it for about an hour now. So I guess I am suggesting a cleaner shrimp since it seems to be working for me.

UPDATE:

The Coral Beauty died about 3 days ago. She looked fine for a week or so after I first observed the possible Ich. A couple days before she died, I saw her in the reef, sort of hiding more than usual, doing that shimmy movements that we all know about.

So far the only other fish in there, the Firefish Goby, shows no symptoms at all. I'm going to try to catch the little booger and see if I can treat it in a QT and let the tank go fish-less for about 8-10 weeks to let the Ich cycle extinguish.

Bummer about that Coral Beauty That was one good looking fish.

CMOS

Hate to hear that Cmos.
I'd give my first born to see you chasing that firefish in a reef tank.Good luck catching it.

when i had got my coral beauty it got ich the next day i put some ich treatment in and turned of the light for a couple days and was fine.. also got rid of some unwanted alge.. haha i watched my bro catch his fire goby in a 5 gal tank, that was some funny chit!!

Back