Ich or not!

tboyd

Reefing newb
Hi again!

Ok I have another question. This morning I turned on light and majority of my fish emerged covered in white spots and I though beep beep..... not Ich and started working out how I would deal with it. Only to find that within a short space of time they started to disappear and within a few hours no fish had any white spots.

Can anyone tell me what this is and why it happens? Water param. are all good. Salanity is a little low at 1.023 and I am in the process of raising it with every water change.

Thanks again all :bounce:

The fish I have a 2 clowns (orange), butterfly and 2 white ear damsels. Spots were on bodies as well as fins. I have a brown Tang no spots and a fire goby no spots that I could see.

It is definitely not color pigment. They were raised white spots on body and fins. If they have them again tomorrow I will take pic and post it.

Ok white spots are back again this morning. I can only got a picture of the butterfly as the clown will not stay still enough for me to get a good shot of him, he is the worst clovered all over one side. The clowns have been sleeping apart! one has been sleeping in elegance coral the other the other end of the tank. Only one of the clowns has them the butterfly and 2 damsels everything else looks clear.

It looks like Ich to me - what should I do? Remove all fish and treat. Not sure if I can get any medicine unless freshwater is the same for saltwater as mile from any saltwater LFS. Low salanity as I have been raising it slowly it is currently 1.023 to 1.024. Water par are all good. help......

Spots1.jpg

Are all the fish eating? If so, no need to stress them more by trying to remove them to treat them. However, remove the ones that are no longer eating and treat them in a QT.

DO NOT treat your main tank with medication.

All fish are feeding well and all appear very happy - no signs of stress. Spots again have disappeared within a short space of time. The butterfly still has spots on tail fin but they look almost best way to describe as diluted. They have flattened and spread out slightly in size and faded slightly. All the spots on butterflys body have gone. Quite confused by this as all my experience with ich - white spots once fish has them they stick around until treated or fish dies, that is in fresh water anyway.

I would leave them be as long as they are eating. If you only take out and treat some of them, you will still have ich in your tank, and the treated fish will be re-infected as soon as they are put back in the tank. Treatment is an all or nothing kind of thing. Start adding garlic extract and vitamins (such as Selcon) to their foods before you feed them. This should help boost their immune systems and fight the disease off themselves.

Back