ID please!

WarmSoda

Reefing newb
My aunt came by and dropped this off! I have no clue what it is!
thing003.jpg

thing002.jpg

thing001.jpg

not a coral ;) (had to)

and great ID'ing yote!

you might consider moving that guy down the sandbed, as he'll be much happier there :) best of luck to you.

Thanks for the reply guys. Well, I don't know what to do with it now! My Aunt and Grandma (the ones that got me into this hobby :P) stopped by and said, "Here! It's featherduster!" I thought to myself, that's definitely not a featherduster. But, I took it and thanked them both. They're funny lie that :P. Even though they both have been in the hobby 2 years longer then I have been, I know about 3 times much more then they do. For example I was talking about lighting with my aunt one day and she mentioned how good hers was so I asked what fixture she had and she replied "I have those killer, top of the line, power comapct ones!". I smiled and nodded thinking to myself "Well, maybe 15 years ago!", but I kept my mouth shut.

Anyway, back to buisness. I've heard some nasty things about any anemone of the Heteractis name, and I'm a little concernd if this guy isn't gonna make it. He doesn't look to bad, and he managed to eat a chunk of shrimp -which of coarse doesn't mean much, but it's better then not eating anything- but I do plan on having alot of coral in my tank and I don't want this bugger jumping ship and stinging evrything in the process.

Also, my LFS doesn't have and Clarkii Clowns in stock, which I hear host these guy pretty reguraly. The LFS descibed what sounded like a Cinamon Clown, Amphiprion melanopus or something like Amphiprion frenatus. Any other things I could try?

To Nathan: This guy seems pretty set intisde the rock my Aunt gave me. How should I go about getting him off and on the sand bed?

I think there's a little confusion here...or if not, I'll add some.;)
Beaded anemone would be correct. And yes, it's not a coral. However I'd be still happy if I had a family member dropping of corals unexpectedly!

Beaded Anemone
If you follow that link, that "beaded anemone" comes from Puget Sound where the temps are in the 50's. It wouldn't last a week in our reef tank temps.
Anyway, back to buisness. I've heard some nasty things about any anemone of the Heteractis name, and I'm a little concernd if this guy isn't gonna make it. He doesn't look to bad, and he managed to eat a chunk of shrimp -which of coarse doesn't mean much, but it's better then not eating anything- but I do plan on having alot of coral in my tank and I don't want this bugger jumping ship and stinging evrything in the process.

Also, my LFS doesn't have and Clarkii Clowns in stock, which I hear host these guy pretty reguraly. The LFS descibed what sounded like a Cinamon Clown, Amphiprion melanopus or something like Amphiprion frenatus. Any other things I could try?
You are thinking about the tropical "beaded anemone" heteractis aurora, which I highly doubt that's what you have. I don't think you can get any heteractis.sp that small.

My guess would be Epicystis sp.
Anemones

I think there's a little confusion here...or if not, I'll add some.;)

If you follow that link, that "beaded anemone" comes from Puget Sound where the temps are in the 50's. It wouldn't last a week in our reef tank temps.

You are thinking about the tropical "beaded anemone" heteractis aurora, which I highly doubt that's what you have. I don't think you can get any heteractis.sp that small.

My guess would be Epicystis sp.
Anemones

That looks more like it.

So it's not clown safe?

How big is it? Looks maybe quarter sized? I don't think it would be a threat to any fish.
Also, I'll just throw in....there's no guarantee any clown will decide to pick an anemone host. They may ignore an anemone and be hosted by a clump of xenia, or mushroom coral, or leather coral to name a few. It's hit or miss.

Back