Id please!!

dangerousdave

Reefing newb
I think this is a type of wrasse but I was woundering what you vets think.
Any ideas are welcome.
IMG_0263.jpg
THANKS!
IMG_0242.jpg

Not the best of pictures, if you can get a better picture, it would make for an easier ID.
My bet is on a christmas wrasse maybe? But who knows, im like 5% sure from that picture

Can you get a better shot of the guy? It's hard to tell from blurry photos. It looks like it could be a goby, rainfordi or hectori maybe.

p-71458-court-jester-goby.jpg

p-71237-hectors.jpg

Other information: This fish is form Florida. This fish is probably a juvenile because it is only about an inch long. I found it on a reef about 10ft deep. I saw two others. They were living separate. Hope this info help ID this fish.

I agree with BL1, my only other thought is that it could be some sort of coris wrasse.

I wouldnt recommend collecting your own fish unless you are 100% sure of the identity because once a fish is in our tanks you can never release them back, so you will now have to find a proper home for that fish if it outgrows the tank or isnt reef safe. Also there are several species of fish that are illegal to collect.

Why can you never release native fish back to the wild? Will they die or do they cause some problem for the enviornment?

See any of the problem lionfish while diving in Florida? That was due to some fish that escaped an aquarium during a hurricane. While that is extreme, it is entirely possible that by releasing a captive fish back into the wild, you could introduce some sort of parasite that takes hold on the local population - which could have catastrophic consequences

Back