Idea

sagent3000

Reefing newb
i live in atlanta and the prices they are charging for corals and other animals for my tank are getting to high. if i go down to miami and go diving for my corals would they survive in my tank at home?

It is very possible but I believe there are laws prohibiting taking corals directly from the ocean off the coast. you will need permits etc. good luck.

You should be able to, get a cooler and a DC inverter to run a pump and a heater or possibly a chiller. You can get the water from the ocean. You will need to look at getting permits as john said. If you find any info out let me know I am also a diver that at some point would like to do the same thing. (as long as its enviromentaly ok). Also one of the ways to get inexpensive corals is to join a reef club, members in our club like swapping frags or selling their frags inexpensively.

after speaking iwth the coast guard it is illegal to touch corals off the US coast. i can however go to the bahamas or jamica and get them from there

well after you fly to jamaica i think it may have been cheaper to buy them lol. Check around ebay also. I site that I plan on ordering all of my coral from is called. www.liveaquaria.com they give 14 day guarantee on normal coral, and 30 days on their aquacultered ones.

Back