Ideal fish for Nano Tanks

Thank you! - I've actually seen many tangs inside of nano tanks , but of course they are very tiny ones ( 1-2 inches)

yea, unfortunately some people do put them in nano tanks where they will either quickly out grow it or die from the stress on being in such a small tank. How many gallons is your nano going to be?

I wouldn't put a tang in any less than 75G and that is just the yellow, Yellow eye Kole and bristle tooth...and only 1 tang in it at that

if you want a colorful fish you can try an angel but they can get pretty nasty...I just had to destroy my tank to get a pygmy out because it was biting everyone

Nano tank with an adolescent yellow tang, sounds like a bad combo to me. Young fish do dumb things as what I did when I was a kid.... 1 clown is all id put in to a tank this small. To much export in a tank like that and if I said it any different way would be setting you up for failure.

Royal Gramma could work. It stays relatively small, isn't particularly active. But it is a short list overall for nano tanks. A firefish could work for the same reason.

Honestly though? I'd probably say a clown goby, maybe a peppermint shrimp or a couple snails, and call it a day with that.

Thank you all of ya! really amazing suggestions! ;) yes I think I'm going for the royal gramma first, then another clownfish bloke! nuff said! :ROFLMAO:

WHOA!

whoa whoa whoa, I don't think anyone, myself included, was thinking you could have more than one fish in a 3 gallon tank. Fish establish territories, just about all of them. They will fight, one will die. And the water will be subject to so many random spikes in nitrates and salinity.

I made suggestions, but I do have to ask, why not just get a twenty or twenty-nine gallon tanks? You could have a clown and a gramma in a 20g, with so much more flexibility.

does it mean i have to start from scratch?:thumbsdown: i am pretty sure that there is plenty enough space for 2 more fish in this IQ5 nano thing so far and actually i try to get small tiny species, sadly I am not a fan of goobies

the one I have is about 2 inches so not that BIG

Honestly when you said nano I was thinking at least a 10gallon (37.85L) tank, with a tank that is that small, fish are not really the best choice. You could do a reef tank with only some neat inverts but If you really want fish you might want to think of upgrading your tank size, this is just my opinion.

Start from scratch is a bad way to look at it. You already have a quarantine tank, the most important thing to a new hobbyist!

Here's the thing, just about every fish is territorial. I said a royal gramma or a fire fish could work in a nano tank, and that's generally true. But if you introduce a second fish, they will fight. one fish will kill the other, or one will jump, assuming that a nitrate spike doesn't off them both.

I'm not a fanatic who's going to tell you to go get a 55g. Honestly, you can get a 20g tank and everything you need for under $100, stand, lighting, live rock, etc. a 20g long is like 30" on a side, and you could get so much more for that investment: a clown pair, a goby/shrimp pair, a small school of chromes, a bangaii cardinal, a really colorful dotty back, a small hawkfish, or hell, a combination where you have 2-4 fish! and you already have a small tank that you can place a new purchase in for a couple weeks to detect heath issues.

i have one bangaii cardinal and one yellow watchman goby in a 10 gallon and took me a while to admit to myself that that is enough fish in that size tank.in a tank your size go with these peoples advice my friend.

Back