Ideas for Last Fish

Shep

Reefing newb
Hey,

So I am thinking of adding in one more small fish to my tank, its a 20gallon tall but I don't have any ideas about what it should be. I currently have 1 Gold Assessor and 2 fire fish but those 3 hide mostly so I was looking for either an active fish or a fish that stays in the open. I plan of doing a mixed reef tank so it would have to be reef safe and friendly towards small shrimps. I was maybe thinking of a small wrasse....just not a six-line, I hear they are kind of terrorists

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey Shep. IME i wouldnt add another fish. Of course it is completley up to you and for quite awhile i did have 4 fish in my 20 gallon long and they were fine. Although, it was difficult keeping my nitrates down (around 20-40 ppm) with that many fish in a small tank. While i had my 4 fish there were certain corals i couldnt keep in my tank for the life of me. Zoas, torches and frogspawns would wither away eventually. Im not even sure if it was related to the bio load of the 4 fish. All i know is that now i have had 2 fish in my 20 gallon long for around 6-7 months and my tank has never been better. My torch and frogspawn are looking great and splitting. Zoas are growing great and now i have sps's that are doing really well in my tank as well. My nitrates are hardley noticable (around 5ppm if that) and constant. So while it is very possible to keep and maintain that many fish in a 20 gallon just keep in mind since you want a reef tank as well that water quality may not be the greatest. Either way i wish you the best of luck with what you decide and just hope that sharing my experience will help you in the long run. :)Keep us updated!

Yea, you are both right, it would be a bad idea to get a 4th fish. I'll just stick with what I have hopefully with time they might become a little more active.

Back