identity crisis - anemone

I would also guess flower anemone (possibly beaded -- but I've never heard them called that before). And the second one is aiptasia -- a really really bad guy! Kill it.

well, whatever it is, it came with the tank and lr and everything that i got as a package, when i got it, this was nothing more than a tiny little speck on a rock, when i moved the tank it went into hiding, and now after a few weeks, it's come back out again in a new location(different from where i put it when i set up the tank. and its bigger now that ever before, so either i never saw it opened all the way, or its growing, and since no one can give me a solid identification, i'd rather not take a chance, its on a small chunk of LR, so i'm just gonna pull the whole chunk and be done with it...

I did find a real aiptasia comming out of a hole in a crab shell that i got from the lfs, when i found it, i pulled the whole shell out and put it in the trash, and then immediately called the lfs and told them... that way if they didnt know they had them, they do now. I felt it was the right thing to do, i didnt yell or get upset, just said, "hey i was in today and got some crabs and snails, and picked up one crab shell that didnt have a crab in it, but an aiptasia" the guy that answered the phone said, oh crap, ok, thanks for letting us know, and that was the end of it...

so unless someone can give me a really good reason to keep this whatever it is, the rock it and whatever else is on it goes away tonight when i get home, i'm not takeing a chance on chemicals or shrimps or anything till i see more of them....

well, whatever it is, it came with the tank and lr and everything that i got as a package, when i got it, this was nothing more than a tiny little speck on a rock, when i moved the tank it went into hiding, and now after a few weeks, it's come back out again in a new location(different from where i put it when i set up the tank. and its bigger now that ever before, so either i never saw it opened all the way, or its growing, and since no one can give me a solid identification, i'd rather not take a chance, its on a small chunk of LR, so i'm just gonna pull the whole chunk and be done with it...

I did find a real aiptasia comming out of a hole in a crab shell that i got from the lfs, when i found it, i pulled the whole shell out and put it in the trash, and then immediately called the lfs and told them... that way if they didnt know they had them, they do now. I felt it was the right thing to do, i didnt yell or get upset, just said, "hey i was in today and got some crabs and snails, and picked up one crab shell that didnt have a crab in it, but an aiptasia" the guy that answered the phone said, oh crap, ok, thanks for letting us know, and that was the end of it...

so unless someone can give me a really good reason to keep this whatever it is, the rock it and whatever else is on it goes away tonight when i get home, i'm not takeing a chance on chemicals or shrimps or anything till i see more of them....
I would not get rid of the whole rock just for 1 aptasia. I use a product called aptasia x. Works great. Kills them on contact and doesnt harm any fish or corals. IMO

I would also guess flower anemone (possibly beaded -- but I've never heard them called that before). And the second one is aiptasia -- a really really bad guy! Kill it.

I gotta disagree.I think that Projects anemones are majanos.
Just as bad as aiptasia if not a bit worse.There are natural predators of aiptasia.But nothing that I know of that actually eats majanos.
Aiptasia X will kill majanos and aiptasia.Its actually a food they will eat,then it hardens inside them,preventing them from releasing spores that would sprout new anemones.

Last edited:
well i got home and it was still there, so i just pulled the whole rock, i'm not gonna mess with it.. i mean really, it was a small rock, maybe half the size of a soda can, not a big loss.

well i got home and it was still there, so i just pulled the whole rock, i'm not gonna mess with it.. i mean really, it was a small rock, maybe half the size of a soda can, not a big loss.
They have a tendancy to suck in as soon as you go toward them to grab them out. Good luck getting him out. Hope it goes well.

Possibly majano, possibly aiptasia, but either way, it's definitely one of the two, and it's definitely bad. You're lucky it's just a small rock, pull it out, let it dry out to kill anything on it, then you can reuse it.

yea that was kinda what i was thinking... i pulled it, and put it in the dead bin, (i have a tub i put things in that i want to dry out and kill) all the sand that gets sucked up when i do water changes, especially when i was having all the red algae/bacteria, this rock, just stuff like that.. after a month or so, i'll hose it all off, and put it back in the tank, and i'll make sure that he's off the rock before i put it back in.... tho, now that i think about it, i kinda wish i had put some water in that tub just to see if this thing reproduced or not.... oh well, i'm sure i'll get more at some point, so i'll just do it then... kinda woulda been neat to be the guy trying to grow aipstasia hehehehe

Back