Impulse buy.. need some info

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
So i bought a coral today that i dont know too much about... I really liked it and the guy told me they almost never get them in (which is true im in there a lot and ive never seen one before) and that they are not too hard to keep. So far all i know is that its some sort of frogspawn... all it had for a label was "tricolor".

I hope i didnt get myself in too deep but if you guys hhave any tips on it.. how hard it is to keep, lighting, flow, etc. please let me know.

4809_1110632774955_1500930697_30683157_5116939_n.jpg

you're right it's a frogspawn (Euphyllia divisia)

Medium/high lighting (what have you got?) and low/medium flow, pretty easy to keep to be honest, just keep it away from other corals as it will sting them.

Don't impulse buy it might cost you a fortune next time!

I'm surprised your lfs doesn't have them in all the time

Like most other LPS corals, give it moderate light (T5HO is great) and moderate flow. What kind of lights do you have? Hard to tell in that pic, but it might be in a little too much flow where it is. You want to polyps gently swaying and it looks like the leading edge of the coral is being crushed by the flow. And then agin...it could just be an illusion...lol.

im usually pretty good at researching stuff before i buy... and i already got burned once i bought a coral and the guy didnt even know what it was but he claimed to have one in his tank and that it was SUUUPER easy to keep.

i got it and it ended up being a Goniporia which i found out is one of the hardest corals ti keep... online it said even expert reefers only keep them alive 12 months or less.. so i kinda learned my lesson there

It's also worth pointing out that Euphyllia are also capable of giving humans a pretty painful rash, if they get annoyed. I have a frogspawn and have never gotten stung, but others have. so beware!

Watch your LFS. What is considered "easy" to them sometimes can be impossible to someone else. I think they give generalized answers a lot of times. Also their equipment is often different than what we can have at home. One final comment would be how long do they, the local fish store, really have to keep a coral alive? I've seen some pretty lousy Show Tanks in LFS which indicate that may be they aren't that skilled at all in keeping corals alive long term. JMO

Those are pretty easy to keep and grow quickly under the right conditions. I love torches FS, and hammers. Sopt feed it and it will love you.

i use a turkey baster to feed mine, just direct it into the tentacles. Mine take whatever frozen food is left over from feeding my sun. they aren't picky

hi nice coral fairly easy to keep like another forum memver said they not like much flow the need a very gentle breeze if tha make sense.otherwise if they are in to much flow they wont fully open hope this helps

Puffer,

Everyone's got you covered.
Basic frogspawn frag you got there...they turn out very nice.

I've got about 4.5 watts / gallon on my tank with CF lights. I keep my FS at the lower level of the tank and in low current. I spot feed about once per month (if that) frozen mysid with a turkey baster. I also add cyclop-eze to the tank now and again.

With the right conditions, this frag of yours will multiply easily. I started with a dying frag of two heads....now, after fragging, I have (2) 6+ head pieces which are due for another fragging soon.

I posted this pic I took today elsewhere, but it gives me a chance to post again!!!!
No, I am not showing off.....OK, yes I am. :-)

frogspawn.jpg

I'm confused. You don't want your clowns hosting frogspawn. That'll kill it! LPS corals are much more sensitive than anemones, and although lots of times clowns will host them, the clown ends up irritating the coral so much that it kicks the bucket. My clowns have tried to host probably about a dozen different LPS corals in my tank, and eventually ended up killing them all. Frogspawn, hammer, torch, goniopora, alveopora, short tentacled plates, long tentacled plates... All of them beaten to death by a pair of clowns.

The only non-anemones that seem to be tough enough to hold up to clowns messing around in them are toadstool leathers and hairy mushrooms.

Back