In need of a pro.

tribal

Reefing newb
Alright so I have this 37 gal long aquarium 20 lbs live sand 50 lbs of some really nice live rock. A korilia #2 and a korilia nano. The filter is a marineland emperor 400 and at this point has been cycling for 2 wks. ( After a week of cycling I made what I know now was a dum move .) You see I did a water change stired up the sand alot and got the rest of the shrimp out also a brittle starfish that had come with the rock and had died a few days earlier. I then checked the ammonia and it read 8. Read in another forum that that would kill my live rock if it stayed there at 8. Soooo I panicked and went to the lfs and got a bottle of acuclear to get rid of the ammonia. Next day tested again and it still read 8. Went back to the lfs to see if I could find a mirrical supplement and talk to the lfs guy. He told me to just leave the tank alone.The ammonia was now neutrulized. Dont touch it and every thing would be fine. But that the tests results were no longer accurret. Tested again yesterday and the ammonia still read 8. My question is do I need to do another water change or will the accuclear clear itself out so I can get a accurett reading ? The rock seems to be doing fine and the corraline is growing well.How do I go about this. thanks and sorry about the spelling.

Theres 2 trains of thought on this one.
#1 Leave it alone and let the cycle run its course.Yeah,you'll lose some of the hitch hikers in the rock but it USUALLY dont take as long for the cycle to complete itself.
OR
#2 Do major water water changes to keep the ammonia as low as possible.The up side,is you end up with more hitch hikers.The down side is it take longer for the tank to cycle.

I would leave it alone and just let it finish its cycle. If you have any shrimp or other inverts, just remove them for now. Test the water on a daily basis and confirm your readings with your LFS

Im personally of the leave it alone frame of mind. Let the nitrogen cycle do its thing. You will be amazed at the life that will hold on during the cycle. You will have a better bacteria colony which will be better for your system in the long run IMO.

Yes, ammonia is one of those things that is supposed to naturally lower itself to zero by means of the nitrogen cycle. Big water changes will only prolong the cycle from completion. What test kit are you using that's giving you an 8 for ammonia? Thats really high! Do you have any fish?
Patience is key, take your time, at least a few weeks before making any more additions IMO. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I am using a API test kit. What I want to know is when will the chemical accuclear that I used to neutrulize ammonia work its way out of the tank. So I can get a accurett test result. Or do I need to do a water change? I dont see any critters but the plant life and coraline are growing well. Thanks again.

No need to do water changes, just let the cycle happen. If you sustain a high level of ammonia, then something is very wrong.

I'm not sure how long it will take to get an accurate result; I'm not familiar with that particular additive. It shouldn't take longer than a week or two, I'd imagine. That's how long it would usually take to naturally see the ammonia to drop.

just a thought..... could there be something wrong with the test kit, or the procedure being used? Not trying to say anything here Tribal, we all make mistakes and dont realize it.... just trying to help find a solution

I think you should not worry about testing for ammonia during this phase and test for nitrites. You know you have the ammonia spike already and then you will get a nitrite spike and when you get over that...then do the water change. Thats what I do when cycling a tank.

Back