In-Sump Protein Skimmer

most efficient and economical protein skimmer?

• Reef Octopus NWB110 4” Pinwheel In Sump Protein Skimmer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef Octopus DNWB-150 6″ Recirculating Skimmer (external)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef Octopus Diablo XS 160 Protein Skimmer

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If money isnt really a concern the diablo is the best in my opinion, with the added bonus of a smaller footprint.

You want more skimming capability then water volume and I have a 30g sump so my water volume is somewhere in the 100-105g after water displacement.

That is super close to my dimensions. Another thing to think about is how heavy you will be stocking your tank. If you push the fish limits and have a lot of corals then you will need more skimming capacity. Conversely, if you want to stay on the lighter end of stocking you can get away with a little less.
By the way, I am just letting you know what has worked really well for me with a similar setup as you are doing.

That is super close to my dimensions. Another thing to think about is how heavy you will be stocking your tank. If you push the fish limits and have a lot of corals then you will need more skimming capacity. Conversely, if you want to stay on the lighter end of stocking you can get away with a little less.
By the way, I am just letting you know what has worked really well for me with a similar setup as you are doing.

What are your 90 gallon tank dimensions? Plus did you make the sump your self?

Secondly I don't have holes in the aquarium and neither do I wanna create one...will that be a problem?

I'll have to measure other than I know it is 48" long (standard 90g). No, but I modified the sump to give me chambers. If you are talking about the sump my skimmer is in the sump but I have a hole drilled to run my external return pump. You can run an internal return pump to your display if you don't want to drill a hole. If you are saying your display doesn't have holes then there are HOB overflow options available if you don't want to drill it. I prefer drilled but that is my personal preference.

Last edited:
HOB means Hang On Back
it hangs off the back of your tank (like old filters on the fish tanks when we were kids).

I have a HOB overflow for my 150. If you plumb it right there's no risk. Knowing what I know now, I would have gotten a tank with built in overflows. Just looks better inside the tank.
My skimmer is rated for 300 gal and my refugium is 35x15x16
I wanted to get a skimmer rated for over 200 gal just to have a margin of error over what the manufacturer stated. I just kept watching craigslist and got a great deal on my skimmer and refugium set.

Last edited:
I installed a check valve on the plumbing for my return so water only flows into the tank from that line and I have enough room in my refugium to hold the water drainage from my overflow if my pump stops.

Back