In sump skimmer

Pysiek

Reefing newb
Hello guys
Long time no see :D. I have coralife super skimmer 65 and it is in return chamber of my sump. Also I have a filter sock on my return.
Question: Does it matter how deep below the water surface I will place skimmer pump? Does it matter when I have the sock on? Right now the pump is about 9" under water. I know that is best to keep it about 3" under but does it make difference with the sock on?

Yes it matters for the skimmer, each type of skimmer will operate best at a certain water depth.

no it shouldn't matter with the addition of the filter sock

So the manual of my skimmer says that if I place my skimmer in sump then the pump should rest on the same plane as the skimmer itself. But what I have read on the forum is that the "stuff" that skimmer picks are lighter then the water and float to the top so its best to keep the pump close to it.

I think there is some confusion...I have read many articles that if you can get water from the surface of your tank into your skimmer it will make the skimmer more efficient. However if you are running a sump you are already getting the water from the surface via your overflow. I think the first part is aimed toward people using HOB skimmers.

As far as having a filter sock, It does make a difrence. When i ran my skimmer with out the Filter sock in that section my skimmer would pick up thicker nastyer stuff, with the filter sock in place it removes and holds the bigger stuff in it so it doesnt make it to the skimmer but the skimmer will still make skimate just not as thick and slimmy, Well depending on your setting.

If you do run a sock make sure you clean them every 3 to 4 days or so because they can become nitrate factories them selves, if you dont run a filter sock make sure you have good flow in the section where the skimmer is that way nothing settles at the bottom, add a small power head or something to keep everything moving.

As far as having a filter sock, It does make a difrence. When i ran my skimmer with out the Filter sock in that section my skimmer would pick up thicker nastyer stuff, with the filter sock in place it removes and holds the bigger stuff in it so it doesnt make it to the skimmer but the skimmer will still make skimate just not as thick and slimmy, Well depending on your setting.

If you do run a sock make sure you clean them every 3 to 4 days or so because they can become nitrate factories them selves, if you dont run a filter sock make sure you have good flow in the section where the skimmer is that way nothing settles at the bottom, add a small power head or something to keep everything moving.
I replace the sock every week. Is that enough? I have my skimmer in the return section so water is moving constantly. But since I put the sock on it blocks the flow. I was even thinking of removing sock for good but then there will be a lot o bubbles and splashing noise in the return section.

It really depends on how much you feed. if you feed alot then that filter sock being in there for a week is going to have old food diteriorating and turning into nitrates and ammonia.

I have 2 sets of socks and change them out evry 3 to 4 days. Im even thinking about getting another set to start doing it every 2 to 3 days with out having to wash socks all the time.

You provably safe then with cleaning them every week, but you should seriously think about switching to Frozen foods like misis and stuff like that. its more nutritiouse for the fish. i change it up for my fish, Misis, Nutramar ova, Krill and marine fusion.

I'm sorry for all the questions but I'm new to this and I do not want to harm (or worse kill) those poor little things.
How should I feed them? Should I give them different kind of food (above) every day? Or just feed them with one kind and when I'm done with it go to other one?

I will post some pictures here showing my Coralife Super Skimmer 65 modification. The flow restriction valve tube broke and I need to replace it because without it skimmer overflows. I decided to try my own modification instead of ordering a new tube with valve. Also since I do something to it then I decided to get rid of the BIG bubble diffuser box.
So here are picture of the mod:
Here you can see that I replaced the rubber hose and plastic valve with PVC:
IMAG0178_zps5a716595.jpg

And here I replaced the ugly bubble diffuser box with Mag 5 ( I think) cone. I have to heat the plastic adapter so it will fit on my .75 OD PVC pipe.

IMAG0183_zps009d9fe1.jpg

IMAG0184_zps3889fe80.jpg

And here how it looks in my sump . Not a clear photo but better then nothing :-) .

IMAG0185_zps6d100220.jpg

Oh one more thing. Can you please check the pictures and let me know what this is? It looks like a spider web.
IMAG0189_zps6bbe7079.jpg

IMAG0188_zpsb28ed544.jpg

That is cyano. Common in new tanks, caused by too much nutrient, not enough flow, make sure you keep up on your water changes

For the food, you can get them locally, check out places like petco/petsmart

I have 2 koralia 750 power heads in my tank .How often should I do water changes? Last time I did it it was about 3 weeks ago

Back