Initial set up of a tank

AirBoyzT

Reefing newb
Ok, so as I mentioned before I am getting a 55 gallon tank and stand for free from an army buddy who previously used the fish tank as a snake tank (I made sure to specify that this is a fish tank and not a reptile tank as I have raised snakes before). It is not drilled or anything. I am not going to use a sump and plan on using a hanging filter, protein skimmer, water flow, and heater.

I guess my question is how do I go about filling the tank initially...I plan on introducing the live sand and dry rock and water all at once, but how do I mix 55 gallons of salt water, what is your recommendations on what is needed? Also where do I get RO/DI water or is it more cost effective to get a RO/DI unit.

Thanks!

In the long run an RO/DI unit would be most cost efficient, as all those water changes will soon add up. Since you are just setting up your tank you can just mix the salt and water right in your tank with a powerhead for a couple of days. Then you can add you rock. But make sure you don't fill the tank all the way up because once you start adding rock and sand the water level will rise. So first maybe make 30 gallons of water or so. Then add your rock and sand, if any more water is needed, just fill it up slowly. Normally in saltwater a filter isn't needed. Your filtration would be your skimmer and live rock.

yea thats a good idea, just do 30 gallons at fist and then 5 gallons at a time until filled. never thought of that. Think I will get RO/DI water from my LFS until I can afford a RO/DI unit

And remember, don't add any fish till after the cycle! Are you adding base rock or live rock? If live rock, it should start a cycle on it's on, if you are using base rock, use a piece of table shrimp to start the cycle. Leave it in there till you see ammonia start to spike, then take it out. About 4 weeks (sometimes longer) later, you'll be cycled and ready for your first fish :)

And remember, don't add any fish till after the cycle! Are you adding base rock or live rock? If live rock, it should start a cycle on it's on, if you are using base rock, use a piece of table shrimp to start the cycle. Leave it in there till you see ammonia start to spike, then take it out. About 4 weeks (sometimes longer) later, you'll be cycled and ready for your first fish :)

Using all Dry Rock and Dry Sand, I am definately doing the shrimp. One question, that purple algae (forgot the name) does that appear over time on the dry rock or must it be introduced?

also, if I plan on mixing 30 gallons initially to start with in the tank, can I put the dry sand (not live) and dry rock into the tank, set it up how I want and then pour the RO/DI water into the tank and then mix the salt in?

also, if I plan on mixing 30 gallons initially to start with in the tank, can I put the dry sand (not live) and dry rock into the tank, set it up how I want and then pour the RO/DI water into the tank and then mix the salt in?

I wouldn't. Go ahead and put the water in, mix up your salt for a few hours and then add your rock. When your rock is stacked how you want it and feels stable, pour your sand in around the rockwork creating even more stability.

If you want the purple coralline algae, get a piece of LR with it, or some snails with it. Eventually it'll spread to the rest of the tank. Coralline comes in many different colors though, in my 26g bowfront, it's a neon-forest green (Depending on which spot you look at lol).

Back