Inside aquarium Paint?

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
Is it safe to paint the inside of an aquarium? I bought a reef ready tank and the overflow is a baby blue and I wanted to paint it black. Is their a safe paint to do this with? Do I use spray paint? Which paint do you recommend? I have never done this before so I don't know too much. Any help would be appreciated.

I have used krylon spray paint for painting inside tank PVC plumbing. The type for plastic. Can states non toxic when fully cured. I had no noticeable problems doing so. Coraline grew on it so it couldn't have been that bad

I am sure there is a product that can, but my fear is that anything you put in the tank can flake off into my corals.

-Doc

The main problem with paints is the carrier solvents. They must be given adequate time to out gas. All but water based paints (which typically use formaldyhide as a solvent) use petroleum distilates as carrier solvents. There are special paints that are two part epoxies that are aquarium safe but I have not seen them in smaller containers than a 2 gallon pair of cans. And at a cost of just over $200. I would just make sure the paint dryed in a very warm area (better , fuller, quicker out gassing) for a couple of days before use in a tank.

Back