instant cycle?

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
So in a month or so ill be setting up a new tank. A 93g cube. Here's my question. Should o set the tank up and let it cycle for a month and then add all my livestock I already have or can I just do a complete switch in one day and have it be instantly cycled? I would be so upset if I lost any fish or corals.

Hmm. So should I just tranfer most of the sand and then wait a week or so and then transfer everything else?

Hi, if its all new live rock and new water then u will want to let it cycle for a month or if it's ur old live rock and water and ur just adding new water to it then u can do it in 2 weeks like I did and mine is up and running well
hope this helps

I personally think you'll be fine moving everything over, just make sure that you save a cup of your sand and rinse the rest of it very well before putting it in your new tank.

I did plan on keeping all the sand I have now. I should rinse it with tank water right? I wouldn't want to wash the beneficial bacteria out.

I rinsed mine in regular water...that's why I suggested keeping a cup of the sand to seed the rest of it. The bacteria will grow back quicker than you expect with the sand.

Okay. That's what I will do then. My sand will need a good rinsing. There is a lot of junk in it. So you think the fish and corals will be fine if I do the switch all at once? Or should I play it safe?

They should be ok..just look at the switch as a huge water change...the livestock is used to the same bacteria that's being transferred with them.

I transferred everything in one go, minus the sand. I used dry black sand and transferred all my rock, coral, and my one lone fish, and all did well. The sand became live, and a cycle was avoided. It worked great! Good luck!

Not entirely sure on this but I think I'd move the water from your current tank over as well and then fill the rest of the way with new water rather than going with entirely new water. You could also pick up some of that hard tubing and a funnel to add your sand in after its been washed to help reduce cloudiness. Good luck with it, can't wait to see the pics (how exciting!!!)

Thanks for all the input guys. Like I said its still about a month out but I want to plan ahead so it all goes smooth. We just picked up some oak wood to build the stand. That's the first step.

Beeguiles, I'm not so sure about transferring your sand... That is the biggest thing you have to worry about causing a cycle.

Best bet (if you need to keep your sand) is to thoroughly rinse that sand out so that there is nothing left in it. This process will most likely result in it no longer being "live" but preventing the kick starting of a cycle.

Just do the best you can to avoid anything that would cause stirring up any detris into your water throughout the process and you should be safe.

I am about to xfer my tank tomorrow but I am replacing the substrate with new/used sand that I thoroughly rinsed out. And all of the old crushed coral will not be touched in the process until I already took out most of the water/rock except for the large base pieces that are on the bottom. Thus leading to little or no stirring up of detris at all (hopefully ^_^)

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes :)

BTW, I do like smitty's idea to save a cup full of the old "live" sand to help seed and start new populations of the critters that were living in it.

I agree. When transferring tanks, it's better to start with new sand. You have enough bacteria on the rocks. Moving sand will probably introduce a lot of gunk into the water.

Back