International marine fish

akfirefighter

FrozenReefer
Does anyone have expierence with Int. Marine Fish? I am planning on buying 30lbs cured live rock from them. Any recomendations on how to add the LR. I already have 25lbs in my 55g and would like to add more. Thanks in advance.

I dont know anything about that place,so cant really help there.

Any time rock is shipped you'll have some die off.
So just set up enough rubber maid tubs with salt water,heater,and a power head.
Just let the rock re-cure in there untill the tests show 0-ammonia and 0-nitrites.Just like cycling your tank.
Once its cured,just add it to your display.

I haven't heard any kind of feedback from them.

If your tank has no livestock than put right in the tank.Check to see if it starts another cycle.If you do have livestock than what Yote said would be safer.

Well,I can tell you its an excellent price for cured Fiji.

Even cured can have some die-off.The decision is up to you to cure it again in a separate container or not.

Like others have said, if you add it straight to the tank, you risk starting another cycle and harming your fish. Then again, the cycle may be so small that it doesn't do a thing to your fish.

!BUYER BEWARE!

***International Marine Fish***

I just received an order from them, and their product is shameful.

I have a request back to them for some kind of recourse.

Here's my letter to them dated Jan. 30th 2009

"To whom it may concern,

I’m very disappointed in the shipment I just received. Not just in the lack of quality of rock, but also the manner of shipment. The product I received was shameful to say the least.

The shipment I ordered:

(2) Boxes of extra large Vanuatu “show pieces” and (2) boxes of “Premium Live Rock” were delivered as scheduled to Seatac International Airport SW Air Cargo last night. I tracked the shipment as it left Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando, and then from Orlando to Kansas City where it apparently had a 6 hour lay over before leaving for Seattle. I don’t know if this is unusual.

Upon arrival I noticed that the boxes were too small to be what I asked for, and that the boxes didn’t contain any Styrofoam for insulation, no wet newspaper, no heat packs…<more concerning>

Once I got home, I removed the rock from the garbage bags they were packed in, and apparently all the water had leaked out damaging the bottom of the boxes to where I had to carry them from the bottom so the bags wouldn’t fall through. I set the boxes down and slowly un-wrapped the bags and immediately noticed that the rock was nearly frozen to the touch, and had zero remains of any life (past or present) as if they’d been taken out of the ocean months ago. There should’ve been sponges and macro-algae present, lots of colors like green, yellow, purple and orange if this was indeed uncured live rock that was recently taken from the ocean.

I asked for:
(2) Boxes of Vanuatu Show Pieces 17” - 24” in length, and
(2) Boxes of large “Premium Live Rock”

I received:

(4) Damaged boxes containing smaller sized (8” – 10”) bare, colorless, lifeless rock stored in garbage bags that were dry, near frozen, and lacking any remnants of life, and I question whether this is live rock at all.

I’ve started the curing process, but have questions regarding your business practices.

(1) Do you try to fulfill special requests? And, if you don’t have what the customer wants, do you normally let them know before ordering/shipment?
(2) In your procurement process, does your live rock come by barge or in some other manner that would explain the quality of your rock?
(3) Are the pictures of live rock on your website of actual rock that you sell?
(4) Do you have a return policy?

Regards,

-David A. Brown"

I will update this post if there's some kind of response back from them.

I mainly wanted to get the word out to anyone and everyone that they do not ship what they promise you on the phone, and they don't ship you anything resembling what's on their website. I believe (having purchased Vanuatu LR before from another company) that IMF is the puppy mill equivilent of LR distributors.

If it seems to good to be true........well, you know the rest.
I live about 2 hours from them. I may go for a "visit" and see what they really have there.

Hello all,

Usually my first post isn't a rant, but felt I needed to get the word out to those who like to save a little money on LR (like myself), and want to have some reviews to go by before making that cost/benefit decision.

I actually ordered two boxes of each. (2) uncured Vanuatu and (2) cured "premium live rock" which is sort of telling that you're probably going to get something generic.

From previous LR orders of Vanuatu, I've always bought uncured which has all the colors as if it were just pulled from the ocean, and it will have sponges, macro algae and other living things in them (good and bad).

Most of this will die off during the course of the curing process. Cured LR will look bare by comparison because the die off and nitrogen cycle have completed.

In this hobby, we're all looking for a way to save a few $$. Many of us DIY our skimmers to make them perform like the more expensive ones, make our own enclosures, do our own plumbing, etc. and all of this comes with a certain amount of risk.

--------This just in-------------------------

They've responded!

Gary,

Thank you for your reply. I really needed the larger pieces (longer). I think that was my biggest disappointment.

I really appreciate your offer, but unless I can find larger pieces 16”+ for my 150 Gal Reef tank for use as the foundation I probably won’t be able to use the additional 30 Lbs either. I currently have (2) pieces of Vanuatu that takes up almost 36” (overlapping) of the entire length of my tank which is 48”.

Can you supply premium LR in pieces of at least 12" in length?

Thanks Gary,

-Dave

Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 12:32 PM
To: Dave Brown
Subject: RE: Live Rock Order: Received Frozen Dead Rock -

Rock has been kept in ocean water up to delivery. I'll send you 30 free pounds and a bottle of purple up via southwest. I don't know why the rock would have been cold. I've never had problems with Southwest. I do know there were major weather issues in the midwest and there may have been a delay. The rock has plenty of life on it and will regenerate once in your tank. I'll ship Monday if that's OK.

Gary

something ive learned the hard way about pretty much anything with this hobby is that you get what you pay for. if its cheap more then likely the end product is gonna be cheap. everyone wants to save a buck. i looked for weeks before i ordered my live rock. i spent $500 on 100lbs of live rock. the rock was awesome. if you try and skimp and take short cuts. you are gonna regret it in the end. just from experience.:bowdown:

oh also look for a place that does airport to airport air freight. i got my rock within 24hrs and it was only like 50 bucks for shipping.

Last edited:
I actually paid $5.95/LB for the Vanuatu, and shipping was included. Also, I only do Air Cargo freight.

I'm continuing to talk with Gary from IMF, and he seems very willing to work with me from here on out. FWIW, I think there customer service has been very good.

XxKnuckleheadxX - On a side note, can you email me your supplier info for LR? [email protected]

Thanks all,

-Dave

Back