Intro & iPhone App

x19

Reefing newb
I wasn't sure where to put this, but I figured since I've not introduced myself this was as good a place as any.

My name is Eric and I live in Plainfield, IL a suburb of Chicago. I've had small freshwater tanks forever, and about 9 years ago I decided to make the jump to saltwater...but as a poor college kid I totally couldn't afford it. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago and my wife took our 8 month old to the Zoo where she was immediately enthralled by the fish kept in the Polar Bear tank....no interest in the Polar bear, but loved the fish. My wife, knowing I'd wanted to do this for a while, gave my daughter and I permission to build a saltwater tank as a father's day present.

Research began and I spoke with one of my close friends who moved from Colorado in Illinois about 5 years ago. In Colorado he operated a 300 gallon reef tank, and had great success...unfortunately he decided it was too difficult to move his tank the 2,000 miles to IL and left the hobby. He convinced me to go for a Reef tank instead of just fish.

I did a fair amount of research, but I move fast. Within a week the tank was setup and cycling. I've already made a few equipment mistakes, but the kind people on this forum have helped me correct the problems. I can't wait to put my first living creature in the tank be it a crab, snail, or fish. I'm hopeful that it will happen this week, but it all depends on the water quality of course...

Anyway, the other purpose of this post is regarding another hobby of mine which is writing applications for iPhone/iPod/iPad (I've got three apps on the store now). One of the first things I did when beginning the hobby was to look for Reef apps for the iPhone and was pretty disappointed with what I found, basically just simulations but nothing to help me maintain my reef. So, I'm going to write one.

It will probably take me about 2 months to write the first app (I have no programming background, so there is a lot of learning as I go along) but version 1.0 of the app will offer water quality tracking of:

pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

It should also be able to graph the levels over time.

My question for the forum is what other features should I plan on adding to subsequent releases?

Thanks in advance, I haven't decided if the app will be ad-supported or paid but either way it'll be free to members of the forum :-)

Cool idea! How about a fish compatibility thing? I would also recommend for the tracking part to lose ammonia and nitrite. They should always be zero anyway. However, add in Calcium, and alkalynity as those should be tracked and can change alot.

Hi, and welcome to LR! :)

I've been fairly happy with AquaStatix.
How will your differ/improve on what's already available?
We would need to be able to track a lot more than those 4 parameters.
Temp, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Salinity at the very minimum.

Hi, and welcome to LR! :)

I've been fairly happy with AquaStatix.
How will your differ/improve on what's already available?
We would need to be able to track a lot more than those 4 parameters.
Temp, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Salinity at the very minimum.

When I looked, I never came across this app but I've downloaded it and will take a look. As a user, what would you that app to do that it doesn't?

Welcome to the site x19. There are several members from the chicago area on here. I am just about 45 minutes east of you. There is a lot of info on this site that will help. Also feel free to ask any question. And you said you move fast, but a word of warning, the only thing that happens fast in this hobby is a disaster. Make sure you take your time and add thing slowly. It isnt like freshwater where it is quite forgiving.

And you said you move fast, but a word of warning, the only thing that happens fast in this hobby is a disaster. Make sure you take your time and add thing slowly. It isnt like freshwater where it is quite forgiving.

Yeah...it will be an epic internal struggle ;-)

Eric

When I looked, I never came across this app but I've downloaded it and will take a look. As a user, what would you that app to do that it doesn't?

The one thing that bugs me is that when you go to input your parameters, I wish they default started at something in the recommended range or your last input, rather than at zero. Not only would this make input faster, but you would have some idea of where you should be without having to look it up elsewhere.

Back