Iodine

Kwater

Chill
What is iodine. What does it affect and how does it affect it. I really don't understand it yet. I dose it 3 drops a week with lugios solution on somethng like that but I don't know why or if it is 100 percent correct. It's just it says to do that and everyone has told me to do it. I would love some help here as far as dosing and somevInfo on it pleas. Thanx

I know Salifert has an Iodine test kit. So you would want to know what the levels are at to properly gauge your dosing.
Seeing as you're keeping SPS and LPS, you should need to dose but without having a test kit for it, knowing how much to dose is pissing in the wind.

Reminds me I need to get an Iodine test.

The rule is if you dont test for it dont dose. You can do more harm then good if you overdose your tank. Sorry I have no idea why "they" say to dose with iodine. I feel that you get everything you need from a good quality reef salt and water changes. :D

well, certain animals need certain nutrients to survive, and they need them in a specific range of concentration. I know that some plants and some corals(if i remember right zoa's are in this category) use up iodine fairly quickly.

from what i have read thus far, the iodine has something to do with the coloring of the zoas, so maybe its something that the photosynthetic stuff inside the zoas use it as part of thier photosynthetic process...

but i agree, if you dont test, then dont dose...

Iodine is vital to hermatypic invertebrates (i.e. corals, clams and their allies that harbor zooxanthellae) it is used to detoxify excess oxygen to form non-toxic iodate, relieving the need to shield zooxanthellae and enabling the host organism to open fully. It also asists crabs and shrimp in molting.

+1 Winy
But as far as dosing iodine goes,I dont dose it.I do however use it to soak all my new corals before I add them to my tank.We also give all fresh frags a lugols soak after the cuttings are glued to the plugs or rubble as an antiseptic to help fight infection.

Back