Is my clown gunna jump?

x19

Reefing newb
The clown I got a couple days ago seems to be doing well, except that today he has been swimming to the top of the tank and sticking his head out of water. He's been doing this constantly all day.

Any ideas?

Clowns aren't know to be jumpers, at least mine's never thought of it. He could be at the top gasping for air, how's your water circulation?

There is a lot of flow. If anything I'm concerned there is too much. Based on Yote's 1st law of water flow it's not a hurricane so it's not too much :-)

Is the flow rippling the surface? That is where the gas exchange happens. Also, to you have a tight fitting lid? That can prevent gas exchange as well. It does sound like you clown is gasping for air.

No lid, and lots of rippling on the surface. Any chance of a parasite. I thought he was swimming erratically but after watching videos of clowns on YouTube I wrote it off as just how clowns swim.

That sounds good. I know I can go a week without feeding my clown, once your tank gets a little more established he'll be able to just graze off the rocks when he's hungry enough. Let us know if things get back to normal.

Back