is my purple cap dying?

Brian_G

overly obsessed
i got this purple cap about 3 months ago. its grown since i got it but its losing its color. is it dying?

purplecap.jpg

Caps don't like lots of light. What kind of lighting do you have and where is the coral in relationship to the lights (up high or down low)? Also, montipora.sp corals in general don't like alk swinging too high or too low. I find they do best under lower light and alk steady levels between 8-10 dKH.

I run 6 t5 HO and its pretty high in the tank. Its about 5 inches below the water.

I drip kalk 2+ to keep my alk between 9 and 11.

i saw yotes monti dying and was curious if this was what was happening to mine.

Haha. Hello :)

it's at 345 so it's a little low. I just have to wait for the calcium I ordered yesterday to come in. Will low calcium kill a coral? Or just stop it from growing?

Hello from an ex-virginian. (went to school in Charlottesville...named his daughter Virginia...wishes he was back in VA)

In the short term, you may want to do a large water change. This will replenish calcium and other necessary trace elements.

I would lower it. That's pretty high up and close to pretty powerful lighting.

What's kalk 2+? Something isn't right there either. Kalk, if that's what it is, should be supplementing your alk and calcium.

+1 daugherty

it is a brightwell additive thats supposed to increase alk, calcium, strontium and mag. it seems to be doing okay.

im gathering things to build a kalk reactor to plug into my ph probe to help keep some of my parameter more stable. and build a more self sustainable reef system.

i also moved it down about 4 inches. and once i get in my calcium and magnesium additives i ordered hopefully i will be able to keep them both where they need to be.

im glad to hear no one thinks its dying though.

Brian,Just my 2 cents.But that Kalk+2 aint all its cracked up to be.We've used it at the LFS some and didnt like it.
For kalk,your better off using Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime.It does a lot better job and is a whole lot cheaper.

yeah im starting to realize that. it does okay with ph but its not raising my calcium hardly at all. thats why im getting another calcium additive to use as well. i really need to get that up. and a magnesium test is coming in the mail as well with that order so i can test for that.

it is magnesium that is needed for water to hold calcium isnt it?

Same thing happen to me , my monti caps red, purple and green that were growing nice on my 65 gal tank and 24 gal nano tank died off too..

Not really sure what happened ?? also now i'm getting algea on the caps...

Back