Is my stock ok so far?

Jdesotel2000

Reefing newb
We just finished cycling our tank about a week ago. It's a 55G with 50+ pounds of live rock no coral because it's not allowed in Hawaii! :(
Anyway we added 1 strawberry basslet, 1 starry blenny, and 3 Bartlett Anthias to start out with.
Is this a good mix?

Welcome to the site!

For starters, you can't add all of them at the same time. You can add 1-2 fish at a time, waiting a few weeks before you add any more. This is so you can let your tank parameters adjust.

I would start with the least aggressive fish first (the blenny). But again, wait a few weeks in between each addition.

Hello and Welcome!

+1 Wonton

Also the anthias do much much much better in a well established tank, i dont think they are going to make in a new tank.

You are asking for trouble adding so many fish at one time, so soon in a new tank. Did you let the tank cycle before you added those fish? If not, then I doubt the fish will survive. A good rule of thumb is to add 1 to 2 fish every 3 to 4 weeks. And like Hannah said, anthias have very specific feeding requirements that usually can't be met in a new tank. They are considered pretty difficult fish to keep because of this.

Yes we did a fish less cycle for roughly 7 weeks. Then once ammonia and nitrites went to 0 in a 24 hour period for another week then we added fish.

Back