Is my tank cycles yet?!?!?!

squid

Reefing newb
Would you say that my cycle is complete.

I added water for the first time 4 weeks ago, I added fish two weeks ago (just damsels) in total I have 9 fishes and I already did my first water change at 20% and changed all the filters and added purigen and a UV filter.

salinity is at 1.023
PH is 8.3
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

I had some fatalities the first weeks but now that tank has been stable for 2 weeks with no fatalitites. Just want to know if this sounds good. Cause my son is driving me crazy to put a blue tank, yellow tank and some clowns.

At the end of cycle, you should see the increase of Nitrate that was converted from Nitrite (which was converted from Ammonia). It doesn't look right if your nitrate is zero.

In general, you should see the increase of Ammonia when you first start. Then, you'll see the decrease of Ammonia, and an increase of Nitrite. Then the next phase would be the decrease of Nitrite and increase of Nitrate. That's a cycle.

There is no need to cycle with live fish. Its just a waist of life. A rotting piece of shrimp would have worked fine.

And how high did your ammonia and nitrites get? If they never got high chances are you never had a cycle.

Another thing. A 65 gallon tanks is too small for any tangs. Blue or yellow...

my levels spiked last week all the way, I mean all the way 140-160ppm and I put some nite out and special blend and within 3 days it went back to normal.

I have seen blue and yellow in a 55 and 47 and they live just fine even after a year in my friends tank. Bigger is always better, but depends on the space I have at home. I appreciate your comment and concerns.

If you use chemical to neutralize the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates, your tank never got a chance to develop the nitrifying bacteria that will continously neutralize your ammonia or nitrate in the future. You'll have to let your tank to do it's work naturally. If the ammonia and nitrite never come down naturally, your tank is not cycled.

omg, you have 9 fish in your tank already!!! you shouldnt have a single fish in your tank if you just cycled your tank.

You need to slow down, you have already needlessly killed a few fish and it will only get worse if you keep this up. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Also you should only have one fish for every 10 gallons, especially when starting out. So you are looking at 7 fish max.

And in regards to the tangs, your tank is too small to properly hold any tangs. They might be able to live in there for awhile, but it doesnt mean you they are ok in there. You could live in a closet for a few years, but i doubt it would be good for your health and happiness.

omg, you have 9 fish in your tank already!!! you shouldnt have a single fish in your tank if you just cycled your tank.

You need to slow down, you have already needlessly killed a few fish and it will only get worse if you keep this up. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Also you should only have one fish for every 10 gallons, especially when starting out. So you are looking at 7 fish max.

And in regards to the tangs, your tank is too small to properly hold any tangs. They might be able to live in there for awhile, but it doesnt mean you they are ok in there. You could live in a closet for a few years, but i doubt it would be good for your health and happiness.

You should see my neighbors tank them. He has about 15 fishes in a 55 gallon reef tank and has been up for 7 years and nothing all still fine. but none the less thank you for the information.

PS: I have lived in a closet actaully for 3 years, I made sure that the american people slept good at night while I was in Iraq serving in the United States Navy.

You should see my neighbors tank them. He has about 15 fishes in a 55 gallon reef tank and has been up for 7 years and nothing all still fine. but none the less thank you for the information.

PS: I have lived in a closet actaully for 3 years, I made sure that the american people slept good at night while I was in Iraq serving in the United States Navy.

good job and thanks for your service. but no need to hold it over someones head for good advice they are giving. I'm sure you wouldnt be asking about a cycle if you knew more that littlefish. do as you must it is your money.

I would like to know how often his fish die. Your fish should easily live 5-7 years in our tank, we have lots of members that have had the same fish for 10 or so years. If you fish arent living that long, i would take a long step back and wonder why are my fish dying.

And i thank you for your service, everyone here indebted to you. But it sounds like you didnt like your little closet much, why would your fish like it any more? At least you got to leave your room and do things, unpleasant as they might be, they dont have that luxury.

Back