Is there a List?

Piratefish

SPS Freak
I thought i saw a list of all water chemistry, I check my water Alk today and its at 125ppm. And Cal is at 400, Ph 8.0 the tank is 14 days old now and still no spike in ammonia. I also read that i could get it to spike with a piece of raw shrimp instead of sacrificing fish, is this a good idea? I used API test kits.

did you start your tank with live rock? It is absolutely a good idea to start your cycle with raw shrimp and not a live fish. If you used fresh rock and there was little to no die off, then there's always a chance that you won't see an ammonia spike

But, you have to put something in there that will rot-- fish food, or a raw shrimp. otherwise, there's nothing for the bacteria to eat. Throw something (non-living please) into the tank and leave it there (if whole shrimp, I'd take it out in a couple of days).

The important things to monitor at this stage are: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate... occasionally (maybe once a week) it can't hurt to also test pH, salinity, and alkalinity.

By the way, your alkalinity is fine for cycling the tank and fish-only systems, but you'll want it a tad bit higher if you add any stony corals. Other params look spot-on.

Yes tank (started) with LR The tank had been set up for years (negelected)and the LR is at least 6 years old. 55gal was given to me

Amanda, I want few fish and Mostly coral including stony and clams (thats my goal)
Thanks

Last edited:
You might not see an ammonia spike if you took an established tank. it sounds like it has already cycled a long time ago and has no need for a cycle. Live rock should sufficiently cycle a tank, but if you want to force a cycle, drop some shrimp in there.

If its not had an ammonia spike by now,theres no use in pushing it.
Consider it cycled and get some life in that glass box.:D

Im just dying to put some chromies (spelling) in there. Or should I start with the clean up crew?? Snails and emerald crab for the remaining very small BA.

How do I raise the Alk???

I use Arm & Hammer baking soda and this Reef Chemistry Calculator when I need to brink my alkalinty up.

I'd start with a fish or 2.But I dont really recommend Chromis.They tend to not acclimate very well for some reason.But they are cheap.

Back